Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Windows Update 1903 Causing Issues

Level 3

Last night the main machine was updated to Windows 10, 1903. I've had a host of issues since then, and now they are affecting DropBox.

I updated a file on another machine, and just happened to have the directory open on the main machine. That's when I noticed the file was synced online, but it was not downloading to main.

I've since uninstalled DB, then re-install. I've reconfigured the directory, selective sync, etc.

Now it's Indexing 45,000 file and trying to sync 92,000 files (and growing.) The files are already on the machine. No idea what's going on there, but there isn't a reason they need to be syncing.

To add more fun/frustration, when I look in the DB status box, it tells me I need to reinstall DB to fix my syncing icons.

There has to be information I'm leaving out of this post. Let me know what that is and I'll get it to you.

Anyone having issues with DB and the 1903 Windows update?

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: Windows Update 1903 Causing Issues

Dropboxer
Hi there @DonTeague,

Initially, could you please have a look whether you have the latest stable version of the desktop app installed (75.4.142) by hovering over your Dropbox icon that’s next to your computer’s clock? 

Since a beta version can be recognized by a xx.3.xx, instead of the xx.4.xx, if you’re on a beta build, it means that you have opted in to Early Releases in your online account settings.

If you give the stable version a try and, after giving syncing some time, you’re still having trouble syncing, could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what the Dropbox icon reads when you hover over it? 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Our Windows 10 Pro 1903 system just had to be restored from a disk image of Build 1809, as Windows system restore does not work due to issues with the Dropbox cache folder and certain placeholder files in it. This has apparently been an issue since Smart Sync was introduced, and no fix has been implemented yet. The only workaround is to exclude the Dropbox cache folder from system backups by editing registry values for the "FilesNotToBackup" registry. See the entire thread here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/I-get-an-error-message-that-Windows-System-Res...

Level 3

Sorry, been busy.

A bit of an update (Which I'm working with DB on) but I rolled back to 1809. However I'm now unable to install DB. Going to try one more thing they suggest, but I don't like it, as it would indicate some sort of odd problem that doesn't look like will get resolved anytime soon.

Edit: Their suggestion was to create a new user account, and try to install it there. Did that (admin account, yes) and I can't even get it to install now. *sigh*

Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional info and sorry to hear that you’re still having trouble with this, @DonTeague

At this point, I’d recommend moving this discussion to email due to account-specific info that’d be necessary to further investigate. 

I was able to locate your ongoing discussion that you have with a specialized member of the team and have passed your comments along to them. As soon as they have more relevant steps to troubleshoot this matter, they’ll get back to you via email - so please make sure to keep an eye out on your inbox for their next message. 

Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Windows Update 1903 Causing Issues
4 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post