cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows User Account Control (UAC) keeps popping up

Windows User Account Control (UAC) keeps popping up

Daniel18
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Do you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer?

Dropbox.exe

VERY ANNOYING.  Comes up all the time.  Was working fine for at least a year now, and suddenly I keep getting this message frequently. 

#makeitstop

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
 Hey Daniel18, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this behavior on our Community & welcome aboard, I’d happily check back with you on this inquiry!

You may keep in mind that you’re getting this message, as you’ll need to update the Dropbox desktop application to the latest version (50.4.71), so it’s advisable to ensure that you’re running this one on your affected device(s). Also, it seems that you’ve chosen to install Dropbox on a different user profile (& not the admin one on your pc). 

You should be able to install Dropbox without admin privileges. The key is to say "No" when Windows prompts you for the admin's password. 

That said, we recommend installing Dropbox with admin privileges as some features, like overlay icons, rely on it.

Hopefully this info addresses your inquiry, though please do let me know here if I’ve misunderstood your request or you have any additional questions. Thanks again for posting us & happy Monday! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
 Hey Daniel18, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this behavior on our Community & welcome aboard, I’d happily check back with you on this inquiry!

You may keep in mind that you’re getting this message, as you’ll need to update the Dropbox desktop application to the latest version (50.4.71), so it’s advisable to ensure that you’re running this one on your affected device(s). Also, it seems that you’ve chosen to install Dropbox on a different user profile (& not the admin one on your pc). 

You should be able to install Dropbox without admin privileges. The key is to say "No" when Windows prompts you for the admin's password. 

That said, we recommend installing Dropbox with admin privileges as some features, like overlay icons, rely on it.

Hopefully this info addresses your inquiry, though please do let me know here if I’ve misunderstood your request or you have any additional questions. Thanks again for posting us & happy Monday! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

matt25
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm seeing the same error. Pretty much every hour it pops up asking to make changes.

I've tried deleting the (excessive number of) scheduled tasks that dropbox creates, but even that didnt fix it.

Pressing yes does nothing. Pressing no does nothing.

I'm on version 67.4.83. Please fix the root cause of the issue.

Matt

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Matt (@matt25), please accept my apologies for the slight delay getting back in touch with you. Based on your description, it seems that you’ve missed our last desktop app update (70.4.93) & I’d recommend following the steps outlined below to correct the permissions issue you're describing us:

(Note: Please be sure to take note or take a screenshot of any Selective Sync settings you may have applied prior to re-installing in case you need to re-apply these settings upon re-install.)

Spoiler
#1.  Verify that the Windows UAC levels are set to default levels. This can be changed in your Security settings in the control panel. For more information about UAC levels please see this resource. 

#2. Uninstall the application following these steps. Please note that you do not need to remove the Dropbox folder or any files stored there. 

#3. Download the newest version of the Dropbox application. 

#4. Once you have download the install file, double-click on the file to run the installer. Please do NOT launch the installer by right-clicking on the file and selecting "Run as admin" as this will lead to incorrect install permissions.

#5. During the installation process, you may be prompted for the Admin username and password of your computer. Please be sure and provide the username and password of your Admin user account on your computer.

#6. Finally, when prompted, enter the email address of the Dropbox account you are using on this computer and if needed, check the advanced preferences to apply any Selective Sync settings.
Hopefully this is helpful to you & please do let me know how you get on with these steps in your next reply here!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

matt25
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Jane 

Thanks for getting back to me. I followed the instructions and its fixed the issue.

Given the number of people hitting this issue, please consider getting the team to workaround it in the scheduler/upgrader, rather than putting the onus on the customer to fix.

Thanks,
Matt

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Pleased to hear that the Offline installer did the trick for you this time @matt25 & thanks a lot for looping back to me to let me know of the progress. 

I’ll make sure to pass your feedback up the ladder for future iterations, however you can also consider this discussion a direct point of contact with me should you have further inquiries or thoughts in the future. Happy Dropboxing in the meantime Matt! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Cvbeth
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I just started having this a few days ago. Dropbox has been working well on my PC for years (Windows 10 Home). Dropbox says it's up to date.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Cvbeth, please accept my apologies for the tardy reply. 

Kindly note that this is a slightly outdated discussion, however I’m wondering whether you’ve had the time to check the troubleshooting steps in my previous post above. If so, then it would be best if you re-installed once again following the relevant link on the Community--> (Stable Build 83.4.152), as there has been a new version since then. 

You should be able to get it through the Download link I had included on step #3 above, I’m merely specifying here for clarity. 

Keep me posted on the results when you have a minute!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Luke9423
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey Jane,

I'm having same issue.  tried installer.  runtime error x80004002

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Luke9423, apologies for the tardy reply here!

Would you mind sending along a screenshot of the error that you're getting?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MCristina New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?