cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word Online – inserted images continually load and do not display

Word Online – inserted images continually load and do not display

grooveolux
Explorer | Level 3

I have a dozen or so Word Online docs in Dropbox, each with a single jpeg image inserted from my local computer.

These documents were last seen with the image successfully inserted.

After coming back to these Word Online documents after some weeks, only some of the inserted images are now displaying, both in the document thumbnail and when the file is opened in Word Online.

For the other Word Online documents, the inserted image does not display in the thumbnail and appears to be loading continuously when the file is opened in Word Online and never displays. For these, when I hover over the apparently loading image, there is a tooltip type message "Inserting Picture..."

The same issue is replicated accessing these files on DropBox on two different computers.

I cannot be certain I ever saw the images displayed in the affected files after the first time I closed the doc.

Does anyone have any hints to avoid this re-occurring?

7 Replies 7

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for reaching out to us here @grooveolux!

To see if we can get to the bottom of this, let's have a look at a few things.

Can you try opening the file locally on your computer to see if the images display? If you don't have the Dropbox desktop app installed, just download the file from the web.

Also, were these images themselves added into the document, or were they added via a link to the image instead?

Let me know what you find and we can go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

grooveolux
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne 

Thanks for coming back to me on this.

I can't try opening the files locally because I don't have Word. I did try to open them in OpenOffice but failed. 

The images were inserted as images rather than links to the best of my knowledge.

G.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info @grooveolux!

Just to rule out any browser issues that might be interfering with that, can you try the following to see if there is any change in behaviour:

• Clear the browser's cache
  • Use an incognito/private browsing window
  • Use another web browser

Let me know how it goes - cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

grooveolux
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne ,

I cleared my Safari history. I quit and restarted Safari. I opened a private window in Safari. I navigated to the files. Same issue.

I tried to login to Dropbox in Firefox but without alerting me to any issue with my login Dropbox repeatedly sends me to a new sign up page.

I can login to Dropbox in Chrome. Same issue.

Any further suggestions?

With thanks,

G.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for trying those steps @grooveolux!

Just out of curiosity, if you just preview the file through Dropbox online, are you able to see the images correctly from there?

If your account is set to open the file directly on Microsoft Word Online, you can temporarily change the "Default editing apps" to "View on dropbox.com" from here.

Keep me posted - cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

grooveolux
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne 

I switched the default app to Dropbox online.

I refreshed the page showing the listing of the files. The icons changed. 

I clicked on the preview icon for one that has the issue and it opened - it looked different from Word online but I couldn't be sure what the preview app was. Given the change I made to my settings as you recommended, it seems likely to I was previewing in Dropbox online.

In the preview of the doct there is a generic icon instead of the image I expect to see, nothing indicating the image is loading, and the image does not load.

I'm dropping this issue as a Won't Fix because I'm now doing a work-around that is proving a better workflow for me than inserting images into Word Online docs.

Thank you for your help trying to sort this issue out for me.

I don't want to spend more time getting to the bottom of what the cause is.

Best wishes,

G.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey again @grooveolux, I hope you had a good weekend!

It sounds like there might just be an issue with the image that was inserted that was causing this issue.

I'm glad to hear though that you're working well with an alternative method though! :grin:

If there's anything else that I can help with, don't hesitate to get back to me here, I'd be more than happy to help.

Have a great week ahead!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    grooveolux Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?