Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Word not available as an Edit option

Level 6

I just upgraded a Windows 7 computer to Windows 10. The client says everything is going well, except for that Word isn't available when she tries to edit a Dropbox document. The online option is Word Online. I see one other question like this in the community from 3 years ago just pointing to updating the OS and the like. That's all done.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies

Re: Word not available as an Edit option

Dropboxer
Hey Betsy (@BetsyCC), it’s my understanding that you (&/or your client) have already had a look at the pointers outlined here, am I right in my assumption? If so, then would you mind having an additional look, just so as to make sure that the file they’re trying to open isn’t currently placed in a folder they’ve removed in their Selective Synced settings (i.e. that’s because the Open button will only appear for files already synced with that device's local Dropbox folder- you can ask them to check back & try to locate the file on their file explorer).  

From there, if they’re part of a Dropbox Business team, & their team admin has disabled Extensions for the whole team, they should see Open instead of Open with, so they should reach out to their admin directly if they’d like to ask for the feature to be enabled. 

Hopefully this is helpful & please do let me know my advice works for you or in case you need further assistance in any way. Have a lovely rest of your day ahead & I'm looking forward to hearing back from you!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 6

Jane,

Thanks for your response on this. The user let me know that "the file is not in a folder I've removed in my Selective Synced settings. All of my folders are synced."

It isn't a team settings issue, because other users can do this and it only happened post-Windows 10 upgrade. I have a remote session with her shortly to see if she has the most recent version of the dropbox desktop application. I'll let you know.

Dropboxer
Thanks for circling back to me here Betsy (@BetsyCC); that’s a very interesting update! 

Now, if you can see that they’re currently using the most recent Dropbox version (69.4.102) & they’re still unable to see the Open with button, then I’d suggest reaching out directly to our team (i.e. we’ll need to direct access to account-specific details to further advise).

In order to check back on their request on our system & make sure someone handles it soon, please include a ticket# in your next reply here, so as to track their progress. 

(Note: Your ticket number should be a 7-digit number, which allows us to look for your ticket on our system. You should be able to see it in the email heading that they receive as soon as they submit this request.)

Please do keep me updated on how you’d like us to proceed on this discussion here & I’ll make sure to reach out to check back with you asap. Thanks again for sticking with me on this conversation Betsy! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Level 6

Jane,

Updating to the most recent version did the trick. Thanks again, and we'll put this on our checklist for clients with Dropbox post-upgrade for Windows 7 to Windows 10

Dropboxer
Perfect Betsy (@BetsyCC), happy to hear it’s sorted for you (& your client) now & thanks a lot for looping back to me to keep me updated on the progress!

We’re always just a post away in case you have further inquiries or thoughts in the future, so don't hesitate to reach back out here at any time. Take care until we talk again! slightly smiling face

Jane

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Word not available as an Edit option
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post