Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

how to prevent losing file create date on uploaded m4a voice recordings from iphone

New member | Level 2

audio files uploaded as m4a files from my iphone are records of conversations. I need to retain the original file create date, but can't find it once i save to dropbox. Instead the date stamp is the upload date. How do I find the original file create date? Or save the voice recording so it shows the original file create date not the upload date? These are all my personal voice recordings.

Tags (1)
2 Replies

Re: how to prevent losing file create date on uploaded m4a voice recordings from iphone

Super User II

The creation date IS the date it was uploaded. It's the date that the file is created on the Dropbox servers. There's no way to change that when uploading. The best you could do is to rename the file during the upload, so the date is part of the file's name.

Re: how to prevent losing file create date on uploaded m4a voice recordings from iphone

Star Collaborator | Level 18

Hi @VirgCodes,

Yes, Dropbox keep only upload time/date and in regular upload you can't keep the original creation time. Workaround could be packing the target file(s) in form like tar or rar (able keeping such metadata), for example, and upload resulting package/archive. winking face

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

how to prevent losing file create date on uploaded m4a voice recordings from iphone
2 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post