cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS Files app - can’t download shared files from Dropbox

iOS Files app - can’t download shared files from Dropbox

Ozhumphries
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi 

I'm using the iOS Files app to access Dropbox files, because I have >10 GBs of other files in iCloud, Box and elsewhere (working with different organisations), so just using the Dropbox app is not a solution for my filing needs. I have a Dropbox Pro subscription.

When I use the Dropbox iPad app, I can easily and quickly download all files in my personal Dropbox folders.

But when I try to access files in my corporate shared folders, I just get the "Waiting to download" message and the whirring download ring, but they never download.

I need to wait for over 2 minutes, without change, until an error message comes up saying "couldn't communicate with a helper application". It also tells me to try again, and if that doesn't work, to quit the application and try again.

I have done all that. I have also deleted the Dropbox iOS app, and re-installed it. That hasn't solved the problem either. 

Since I can download files from my standard Dropbox folders, could this be an issue with settings/restrictions on the folders in the shared corporate Dropbox folders? This doesn't seem likely because surely, if this was just the result of a setting in the corporate Dropbox, then surely Dropbox would have created an error message that told me that. (Such as "your System Administrator has restricted you from downloading.")

The fact that the problem is with a "helper application" sounds most like a software incompatibility issues between Dropbox and iOS.

Can anyone help please and advise on how to fix this problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ozhumphries
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Walter

i had one last thought, now that I'm on 13.1.3. I quit both Files and Dropbox apps, then reloaded them, and finally the files are downloading. It looks like Apple did fix the problem but I had to also reload the apps for it all to come together.

thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Ozhumphries - how are you today?

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the Files app on your iPad; let's take a look!

As I don't think that this could relate to specific shared folders, could you check if you're getting this error with a specific file type? If so, what is the file's extension? 

If you could also attach a screenshot of the exact error you get in your next response, that'd be amazing!

Last but not least, are you able to download/offline/preview those files normally on our own mobile app? 

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Ozhumphries
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Walter

Thanks for your prompt reply, and good questions!

I have not been able to reproduce the error message I got last time (the 'helper application' one), mostly what I just get now is the words 'Waiting to download' and the whirring circle, even waiting for 5 minutes on one occasion. On another test, I (only once) got the message in the attached screenshot.

Your question on file types was spot on. I had mainly been trying to download PDF apps, and they are the problem files! If I click on a not-downloaded Word, Excel or PowerPoint file, it immediately opens the relevant Word/Excel/PowerPoint app, and quickly downloads the files into the app. All the files I am failing with are PDFs - all the rest seem fine.7CC2A29A-D2DF-400D-86B7-0B7CFB53DAF0.png8D5FCD48-E1CD-4737-AAD9-E4E3364AD5D7.png8D5FCD48-E1CD-4737-AAD9-E4E3364AD5D7.png

Ozhumphries
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

And yes, I can see and download all files of all types in the Dropbox app.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the extra details there @Ozhumphries - they're most appreciated.

I'm not sure if those are related but Apple released a new iOS version for iPhones and iPads yesterday (iOS 13.1.3) to mitigate some bugs and improve performance in general. 

If you haven't updated your iPad's OS yet, could you check for pending updates, install them and then try to download your PDF files through the Files app anew?

In the meantime, you can use our mobile app for this!

Let me know what you find please!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Ozhumphries
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Walter

I've installed 13.1.3 and the problem remains, I'm afraid.

Could it be some setting on the PDF files in the shared Dropbox? If the PDFs are locked, or if the company has placed other restrictions on the files, could that make a difference?

Thanks for your attention. I can and do successfully use the Dropbox app, so I'm not overly inconvenienced by this, but it's a failure of integration I figure you'd want to have working properly.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the reply @Ozhumphries.

I don't think there's a conflict with those PDF files but just to make sure, can you check if you can access and download them properly on a computer or through a web browser?

In addition, as our mobile app seems to be working fine, you should direct your report to Apple as they're the ones maintaining the Files app.

Do keep me posted please!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Ozhumphries
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Walter

i had one last thought, now that I'm on 13.1.3. I quit both Files and Dropbox apps, then reloaded them, and finally the files are downloading. It looks like Apple did fix the problem but I had to also reload the apps for it all to come together.

thanks for your help.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ozhumphries Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?