Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

iOS email wont allow file from Dropbox to attach

New member | Level 2

Using the latest version of iOS 12.1.3, I am unable to attach certain files/docs from Dropbox to my iOS email.   It allows me to see the file in Dropbox and select it, but it spins and spins indicating it’s downloading the file.  The file never downloads though.  

I can do the same process on my iPhone using the same iOS and same Dropbox account without problem.  

Thanks for any help.....

23 Replies

Re: iOS email wont allow file from Dropbox to attach

Dropboxer
Hey Chris (@ChrisHill), thanks for reporting this on our Community. Now, I’ve seen two similar discussions specific to an iPad (eg. kindly have a look here & here) & it makes me think that there could’ve been an issue we’d need to investigate in more depth. Are you facing this issue on an iPad perchance? 

From there, can you download the files as expected through the Dropbox mobile app? Would you mind including a step-by-step description of the steps leading to this discrepancy, so as to check back on the results I’m seeing on my end? I’d also appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info), so as to better determine what's happening. 

Thanks for taking the time to gather this info for me & I’ll be awaiting your next message on this conversation. Have a great day until we talk again Chris!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

I too am having this issue using my iphone. I use Protonmail and ios mail to attach documents from Dropbox. Historically I have no issues do so but recently (last two-three months approx) i can no longer attach. Instead when i go to attach a file (that has the Cloud with a downward arrow coming out of it) to an email I get the spinning circle and "waiting to download" appear: nothing downloads however. I can view the file with no issues using the Dropbox app but cannot view using the "Files" app; instead i get the "wiating to download" message / spinning circle.

If there is no cloud with downward arrow next to the file it attaches fine from Dropbox. N.B I have no issues on a desk top attaching from Dropbox.

I hope you can help

AE

Dropboxer
Thanks a lot for the nudge & your detailed message here (@DrAEd); I hope my message finds you well today! 

Following your post here, I’ve sent you a brief message on the email connected to your Community profile (that's merely because I’ll need to have direct access to your account  specifics to further address the issue that’s been troubling you in a bit more depth) gathering all of the info you’ve included on that discussion.

You may have a look at your inbox at your earliest convenience if you’d like us to work on that together!

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

I hae the same issue.   I go to attach a dropbox file to an ios email and after clicking on the file, nothing happens. 

Dropboxer
Hey there (@mhotrx), kindly note that the Files app is owned & maintained by Apple, therefore if you’re having trouble with this functionality & you’re not getting the results you were expecting, we recommend you use the Dropbox iOS app instead. 

If you’ve already installed the Dropbox iphone Application, can you please use the Export function to attach the file you need to your email as a temporary workaround? 

Hopefully my message brings a bit of clarity & provides you a useful alternative; please do let me know how my suggestion works for you or in case you need further assistance in any way. Happy Monday & thanks for checking in on our Community!  

Jane

New member | Level 2

Same issue, icons appear and I can select but just spins. To attached I have to exit email app, open Dropbox, export file to an alternate PDF application, then reopen email app and attach from secondary PDF app. So I able to get to the file, just attaching direct via the email is glitchy. 

Was flawless before started happening last few weeks.

Dropboxer

Hey guys, sorry to be jumping in and it might be a long shot but could you try clearing the cache from within our mobile app and see if it helps?

So at this point, I'll need to ask if you could you please try to clear the cache on your app and then sign out and back into your Dropbox account. 

To clear your cache, please follow the steps listed below:
1. Navigate to the “Personal” tab
2. Tap the gear icon in the upper-left corner of the screen
3. Select “Clear Cache”

Once this is done then please ensure you log out of the Dropbox application, then restart your device and log back in again. 

Let us know of any updates!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

I have been having this same issue for quite awhile on my ipad. Continued frustration brought me here to see that not much of an answer offered. 

Yes, of course there are workarounds (using “export” does not allow you to attach a document to an email reply). The most obvious workaround is to discontinue using Dropbox. Oh well. 

Dropboxer
Hey @Dakaiman, sorry to hear about any frustration caused; generally speaking, we advise discussing that with apple as this is the most direct way to report & ultimately resolve the issue at hand. Nonetheless, I understand that the workaround posted here may not be ideal to you & for that reason I’ve sent you a brief message on the email address connected to your Community profile so as to further address your concerns.  

Whenever you have some spare time, please have a look at your inbox for my message & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you asap. Thanks again for checking in with us & I’ll be awaiting your next reply! 

Jane

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

iOS email wont allow file from Dropbox to attach
23 Replies
3 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post