Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

not uploading same folder but the different ones

New member | Level 2

i uploaded 800 files but it seems that there is an error with uploading 30 of them and i cant decide them because they are scattered 

so when i reupload all 800 file it seems to overwrite them and it take long time...

what is your recommendations

Tags (1)
5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: not uploading same folder but the different ones

Super User

Hello @omargharaibeh, one way is to install the Dropbox desktop app and use sync to upload/update such large number of files.

Dropboxer

Hello @omargharaibeh

Let's see what we can find!

First off, you are right. When you upload a file to the website on a location that has another file with the same name, the new file will replace it. 

You can upload the same batch and let the files be replaced (if you didn't make any changes to them) or find which ones were missing. 

However, I do understand that doing this may be cumbersome, so I'd recommend doing this throuh the Dropbox folder if you have the desktop app installed, just as @Elixir also mentions.

By doing this, if you add a file with the same name as an existing one, your computer should notify you that there's a file already with that name and give you some options - such as "x, y, and z files already exist, do you want to replace or skip".

I hope this helps, but let us know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

update :

i found this steps but i can't find the "file settings" in the first step 

Setting Options for the Dropbox To Set Dropbox Options

1. Click the Settings button.
  2. Click the File Settings tab.
  3. In the Set Dropbox Options area, select the checkbox to enable your dropbox.
  4. You can restrict who has permission to send files to your Online File Folder by enabling the Remote Delivery ID. To enable the Remote Delivery ID, select Yes from the dropdown menu. Specify a word or phrase to use as the ID in the Remote delivery ID field. Senders must use the word or phrase as the subject of their email to send files to your Online File Folder. Select No from the dropdown menu and leave the field blank to allow anyone to send files to your dropbox.
  5. Select one of the following from the Overwrite action list:
    • To replace an existing file of the same name with the file sent to your dropbox, select Replace existing files.
    • To leave the existing file of the same name as the file sent to your dropbox, select Leave existing files.
    • NOTE: If you select this option, the file will not be received in your Online File Folder dropbox. The sender will receive a notice that the file was not received.

• To rename the file sent to your dropbox, select Rename the file.
  6. Click OK.

New member | Level 2

why not asking me on the web browser ?????

Super User

From where did you find those instructions? Are you trying to upload the files directly on the Dropbox.com web? Or you are using some third party services? 

If you upload files via web browser, dropbox cannot compare before hand (before uploading again) the files in your computer with the ones already in its server. So, it needs to upload the files to its server first, and then if it finds the file is already exits, it overwrites. If you install the Desktop client, it takes care of this issue. 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

not uploading same folder but the different ones
5 Replies
0 Likes