Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

paperwhite and dropbox

Level 2

I am going crazy trying to find out how to use a dropbox to send books to my Kindle Paperwhite. Looks like maybe not possible... Thanks

8 Replies

Re: paperwhite and dropbox

Super User II

Dropbox does not have an app for the Kindle e-readers. Only the Kindle Fire tablets are supported. You'll need to look for a third-party solution, such as IFTT or similar, to accomplish this.

Dropboxer

Hey there @neptune - sorry to hear about this.

I guess you're referring to the new Kindle Paperwhite 4 - right?

You should be able to access your Dropbox account online (at https://www.dropbox.com) and download the files you need (assuming that the device's OS lets you to begin with)

If your device meets our minimum requirements, you could install the Dropbox mobile app on your Kindle device, by following steps:

1. Navigate to https://www.dropbox.com/kindle using your preferred web browser
  2. Input a phone number where you'd like to receive the link to install the app. Alternatively, you can click on "email me the link" and input your email to receive the link through your email account
  3. Open the link from your Kindle Fire and proceed to install the app. 

Please note that the Dropbox mobile app is not optimized for Kindle devices given the modifications that their OS have on the Android OS. This means that you could experience performance issues or other limitations for which we may not be able to provide support.

Let me know how this goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Super User II

@Walter wrote:

If your device meets our minimum requirements, you could install the Dropbox mobile app on your Kindle device

The mobile apps only are only supported on Kindle Fire devices. The Paperwhite is an e-reader (i.e. not a tablet) and cannot run apps. It can run Active Content which can be thought of as an app, but is very different, and not something that Dropbox supports.

Level 2

Sounds like what I was suspecting - Kindle Paperwhite does not do Dropbox. Too bad I didn't klnow before goi g through all the dropbox accoun

@Rich wrote:

@Walter wrote:

If your device meets our minimum requirements, you could install the Dropbox mobile app on your Kindle device

The mobile apps only are only supported on Kindle Fire devices. The Paperwhite is an e-reader (i.e. not a tablet) and cannot run apps. It can run Active Content which can be thought of as an app, but is very different, and not something that Dropbox supports.

t-formation. Oh well - live and learn. Now I'll have to cancel Dropbox and figure out how to stop it from auto-renewal... 

Level 2

Sounds like the real answer is that dropbox does not do Kindle Paperwhite. I should have known. What a nuisance.

Level 2

I used to be able to do this by navigating to the (old) web version of dropbox and downloading from my Paperwhite's "experimental" browser. Since Dropbox transitioned to dynamic web, I've been unable to -- it doesn't render correctly.

Is there a way we can access a flat HTML version of Dropbox so I can make this happen again?

Super User II

@wekaleng wrote:

Is there a way we can access a flat HTML version of Dropbox so I can make this happen again?

No.

Level 6

I canceled my TB plan, too. I have no idea what cloud services earn their money with. They have only made my life worse, by preventing devices from transfering data outside of using clouds more and more. When you could use them, they seem never helpful. Dropbox is another example. The whole thing is a trick in my opinion. Once you get behind it's a trick, you try to avoid clouds at all costs. 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

paperwhite and dropbox
8 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post