cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"No internet connection"

"No internet connection"

Norris U.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I badly need help with my dropbox desktop client. This happened before and a simple uninstall/reinstall did the trick. Last week, the always connecting issue happened again. I tried reinstalling the client even to a newer version but it now says, "No internet connection". The issue first happened in my laptop. Thinking that it was only in my laptop, I checked my pc and noticed that the very same problem is also there.
I have searched high and low for a solution and based on the multiple suggestions from people with a similar problem, I have made these troubleshooting steps to no avail.
1. Uninstall, reinstall (even removing the %appdata% folder)
2. Run windows 8.1 in safe mode with networking
3. Tried resetting netsh
4. Changed the preferences to "No proxy" and making sure that my connections are set to "no proxy" as well
5. Turned off all firewalls and antivirus programs.
5. Tried resetting my modem and router (thinking that it might be a connection problem).
6. Hardwired both my pc and laptop
7. Scanned my laptop and pc for malwares but none have been found (maybe far-fetched but worth trying)

My PC is on windows 7 while my laptop is on windows 8.1. What's troubling me is I can't access dropbox even on safe mode.
Please help. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ProAut I.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had the same issue and called my ISP, the guy was really helpful and we noticed that the DNS was not updating correctly so it had to be updated either on the ISP side, the DSL, the Router or on the PC directly.  I entered it on my PC Network connection and it started working right away.  you can use the google DNS or Opendns ip.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Norris U.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

To add, I can't understand why both my PC and laptop were affected. My wife on a different laptop has no issues at all with hers!

Lisa P.21
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am having these same issues but only on my desktop, but unlike you I can access it on my laptop. Like you I am running Windows 7 on the desktop and 8.1 on the laptop. I sent a message to customer support and was pointed to this forum. Per customer support they are too busy to answer my question or provide me with guidance. You have done more things than I have as I have not tried changing proxy settings or networks settings. Nice to know I am not alone with this problem.

Norris U.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Guys, would like to update the status of my issue. This has been solved.
Apparently, something from the ISP side was block the connection to the dropbox server.
Anybody who has tried 'everything', turning off the firewall, changed the dropbox setting to 'no proxy' etc. (steps done above) but still wouldn't connect, I suggest you do a trace route on dropbox.com
1. for windows, press Windows+R, then type 'cmd'
2. on CMD, type "tracert dropbox.com)
3. if there is a time out from numbers 1 to 5, it means theres something wrong with the modem or there's something wrong with your isp's connection. If the timeout is from 6 to 13, it means your connection is not connecting to the dropbox server. Meaning there might be a firewall from the ISP side that's preventing you to connect.

In my case, the timeout was in 5, 9, and 10. Called the ISP, and after a few days, i was able to use the dropbox desktop client already.

Hope this helps.

Lisa P.21
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks for your hard work. I just did what you suggested and the numbers for my desktop came back as 11, 15, and 13. Looks like a call to my ISP is in order.

ProAut I.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had the same issue and called my ISP, the guy was really helpful and we noticed that the DNS was not updating correctly so it had to be updated either on the ISP side, the DSL, the Router or on the PC directly.  I entered it on my PC Network connection and it started working right away.  you can use the google DNS or Opendns ip.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ProAut I. New member | Level 1
    Lisa P.21 New member | Level 1
    Norris U. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?