cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Open in Finder" and "Open in Word" not showing in Safari OSX for Mac

"Open in Finder" and "Open in Word" not showing in Safari OSX for Mac

Scott H.
Collaborator | Level 9

Hey folks,

When viewing dropbox files from the Safari browser (Safari v 13.0) I can no longer see the "Show in Finder" or 'Open in Word" / "Open in Adobe Acrobat" options for files. 

I also have Chrome installed on my Mac (v77.0.3865.90) and I can confirm that these DO work on Chrome. See pics below.

These items used to show in Safari, however it seems that after updating to Safari v13.0 this has stopped working. 

Any ideas for resolution would be gratefully received as Safari is my default browser. 

Cheers,

Scott

Safari Browser.png

Chrome Browser 1.png

109 Replies 109

tsigel
Helpful | Level 5

Hello! 
I have exactly same problem 
MacOS Catalina 10.15, Safari 13.0.2, Dropbox 82.4.155
i have "open in Finder" button in Chrome but i need it in Safri

Scott H.
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi @tsigel 

I'm sorry to report that I haven't been able to resolve the problem. (but it's good to know that I'm not alone). 

I'll keep looking for a solution. 

Scott

tsigel
Helpful | Level 5
Hi @Scott H. All my office colleagues working on Mac have the same problem. You are not alone)

WildfireQueen
Helpful | Level 7

As the subject says, the 'open in finder' option is not available when opening links in Safari -which is my standard browser-. I have the desktop app active, it's up-to-date and it's syncing. When opening links in Chrome, it does work.

I'm on MacOS Catalina 10.15, Safari Version 13.0.2 (15608.2.30.1.1) and Dropbox Version 84.4.170 (84.4.170). 

Do I have to change a setting to get it to work or is it simply not available on Safari?

Thanks in advance.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hello there @WildfireQueen, hope you're doing well today!

For this option to be available, you're browser needs to updated to the latest version but it also requires Flash Player 10 or later to be enabled on the browser too. Is it possible that you don't have this installed on the Safari? 

Also, you mentioned opening links, can you let me know if these are shared links to files that are within your Dropbox account? If so, any screenshots you can provide of this difference within Chrome and Safari would be much appreciated.

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

WildfireQueen
Helpful | Level 7

Thanks! I've done the following things, but still I don't have the option of 'open in finder'.

For this option to be available, you're browser needs to updated to the latest version

Just updated to Catalina v10.15.1 and now my Safari is up to date as well (v13.0.3).

but it also requires Flash Player 10 or later to be enabled on the browser too. Is it possible that you don't have this installed on the Safari? 

I didn't have it installed when you asked, but prior to updating I've installed the latest Flash Player (NPAPI-plug-in version 32.0.0.270). I've enabled it for the dropbox website (by default it's switched off) and restarted safari. I've checked again after the OS update and restart and it's still enabled for dropbox.com.

Also, you mentioned opening links, can you let me know if these are shared links to files that are within your Dropbox account?

Yes they are: I'm logged on to my dropbox account from work (both in browser and in finder). I do have selective sync, but the (.PNG) file in question is synced locally to my computer as well. The links are generated by right clicking a file and selecting 'copy link'.

If so, any screenshots you can provide of this difference within Chrome and Safari would be much appreciated.
Here they are:

Safari:

Schermafbeelding 2019-11-06 om 15.42.24.png

Chrome (same file, same link):
Schermafbeelding 2019-11-06 om 15.49.52.png

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for that info @WildfireQueen!

Just to note, I've merged your posts here as it seems that you're experiencing the same issue as described here.

So that we can have a better look into this, would you mind if I reach out to your email address associated with your Community profile? 

Let me know - cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

WildfireQueen
Helpful | Level 7
Yes that's okay!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Awesome!

I've reached out to your email, please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we'll take it from there.

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

redegg
New member | Level 2

I'm having the same problem as well. Can you please let me know when a solution is found?

Need more support?