Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

"unable to preview item" ?????

New member | Level 1

This is the message I get when I try to open 3 video lectures that my professor shared. The strange thing is that he shared 5 and 2 of them work just fine, just not the other 3. Previous lectures have always worked fine.
This message appears only on these 3 lectures and it doesn't matter if I am on a PC or Mac or IOS.
I need to get this figured out soon.
Thanks for any help.

Tags (1)
31 Replies

Re: "unable to preview item" ?????

Super User

Hello, Shawn...

Take a look at this help article regarding the types of files that can be previewed from the website (including any file limitations). Be sure to scroll down to the, "Files that preview as a video" section (note: if the video files are password protected then you cannot preview them).

Another possibility is that those particular video files are corrupted (can't say for sure).

Have you tried downloading those 3 videos to your hard drive to watch them?

New member | Level 1

I'm having the same problem with ALL my videos, even the ones that used to play just fine. Anybody know what's going on?

New member | Level 1

I am having the same problem, the link my son sent me used to work fine with both videos and pics but all of a sudden I get "can't review this item"??  Would Lastpass or any other program block the opening?   Thanks for any suggestions.  

New member | Level 1

same exact thing...videos that have worked for months and years will no longer play!  Whats going on ...

unable to preview item

New member | Level 1

Did anyone ever get a solution to this "unable to preview" issue?

New member | Level 2

I also would like to know the answer to this "unable to preview" issue when videos are concerned. According to the help article my video should be playing the the preview pane, but it's not. Even when I take the password restriction OFF.

Explorer | Level 3

I'm having the same issue... I have a bunch of baby vids... some mp4s will play.  And some won't play at all.  I believe the ones that won't play are the ones I edited in a smartphone video editor.  But what gives??

Update: Nevermind they play now.  I had to refresh the page, but the behavior is still inconsistent.  Some will play while others will not.  

New member | Level 1

Unable to preview this item.   The video I shared was fine until two weeks ago...now I can't send any video.

Dropboxer

Hi Kathy,

When you say you cannot send any video, does that mean you are not able to create shared links? Or are you having trouble previewing the videos in the shared link?

Thanks for the clarification.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

"unable to preview item" ?????
31 Replies
22 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post