cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We’ve covered lots of big life moments in our ‘How we use Dropbox’ series - and now we even have some tips on how you can use Dropbox to keep the planning of a wedding as easy and as painless as possible over here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Automatically updating images linked from Dropbox in Word

Niels Jepsen
Explorer | Level 3

Hey @Megan ,

He is saying it should be possible to change the image in the folder without the link breaking?
Or am I missunderstanding?

I have made some progress though. The image updates in Word now, but that is only if I edit the original image. Like a pencil mark in paint etc.
That is updated in Word.

But maybe we're talking completely past each other.
I am looking for a way to change the file completely. Overwrite it with another file that is using the same name. It is stated other places on the internet that this should be working, but when I overwrite the original file with another file, then the link changes.

Niels Jepsen
Explorer | Level 3

Hey again @Rich ,

You state exactly what I'm looking for back in 2016. Linked here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Can-I-replace-a-file-but-keep-the-same-link-Th...

Is it not working like this anymore?

Hannah
Dropboxer

Sorry to jump in here, @Niels Jepsen.

If you were to replace the file with a different file (even with the same name), the link would break, but if you were to edit the same, original file, the link shouldn't be affected.

Is this how it works for you?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Niels Jepsen
Explorer | Level 3

Hey @Hannah ,

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing.

But it is stated elsewhere, even in this community although in old posts that it should also work, if you replace the entire file.
Maybe Dropbox has changed since then.

Rich
Super User II

@Niels Jepsen wrote:

But it is stated elsewhere, even in this community although in old posts that it should also work, if you replace the entire file.
Maybe Dropbox has changed since then.

Pretty certain it's always been like this. Basically, anything that deletes and replaces the existing file will cause the link to break. There are even some editing programs that when editing and saving an existing file the program will first delete the original before saving. In this case the link will be broken because the file is deleted. As long as you're directly saving over the existing file without it being deleted, the link will remain.

Need more support?