cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We’ve covered lots of big life moments in our ‘How we use Dropbox’ series - and now we even have some tips on how you can use Dropbox to keep the planning of a wedding as easy and as painless as possible over here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Connecting Google Sheets

Connecting Google Sheets

RLawsonKT
New member | Level 2

I currently link across Google Sheet files using IMPORTRANGE. This does not seem to work with the Sheets created through Dropbox. Is there a trick to get it to work or another way to connect across files?

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @RLawsonKT - welcome to our Community!

To be completely honest, I'm not really sure if this is supposed to work in the first place; could you share the exact steps you take to do this and send me a screenshot of any errors you might be getting along the way?

From what I understand, there might be some conflicts when it comes to permissions and rights on the said files and that's what's causing what you described but since this pertains to a third party app and active integration, it might be worth asking Google directly about how you should move forward with the task at hand. 

In any case, please let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

RLawsonKT
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter, 

Thank you for your reply. The IMPORTRANGE function is used to pull in data from another google sheet by using the file's URL and providing the tab and range. Is a normal google sheet, you need to allow access for each link. In the sheets created via Dropbox, there is not an option to grant this access to the other file.

I will update you if I find a work around.

Thanks,
Rachel

behzod
Super User

Hi Rachel,

IMPORTRANGE works no matter where Google Sheet Document was created. For demonstration purposes, I created 2 Google Sheets files one in Google Drive and the other in Dropbox:

1) Main (master) file using Google Sheets at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets (this will save the file in your Google Drive account).

2) Second Sheets file created using Dropbox desktop app or at dropbox.com (this will save file with extension .gsheet in your Dropbox account).

Now the task is to import data from the master file to the secondary file using IMPORTRANGE function. Here are the steps:

1) Get sharable link of the master file (tap on green SHARE button on the right top). When getting the sharable link you can select "Anyone with the link can VIEW" option, so that no one can edit it by mistake. 

2) Your copied shared link will look similar to this one (this is the list of some sight words I created for my daughter couple of years ago): 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_lEJcgUqWn0i-HFb6sgqMa0hhoFDEdYWjCu5eBVUcjY/edit?usp=sharing

3) Modify the shared link, just remove /edit?usp=sharing, you should have:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_lEJcgUqWn0i-HFb6sgqMa0hhoFDEdYWjCu5eBVUcjY

4) In the second file that you created inside the Dropbox paste following command to import data from the file in Google Drive:

=IMPORTRANGE("https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_lEJcgUqWn0i-HFb6sgqMa0hhoFDEdYWjCu5eBVUcjY", "sheet1!A1:C10")

NOTE: The modified Google Sheets link should be inside the double quotation marks: e.g. "link". You can of course change the sheet name and the range.

Good luck.

Behzod

ryanryanryan
New member | Level 2

@behzood try this reversed, where you reference a master file in Dropbox into another GSheet anywhere else. That seems to be the problem. 

@behzod wrote:

4) In the second file that you created inside the Dropbox paste following command to import data from the file in Google Drive:

=IMPORTRANGE("https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_lEJcgUqWn0i-HFb6sgqMa0hhoFDEdYWjCu5eBVUcjY", "sheet1!A1:C10")

NOTE: The modified Google Sheets link should be inside the double quotation marks: e.g. "link". You can of course change the sheet name and the range.

Good luck.

Behzod

ARyS
New member | Level 2

Hi there,

Is this still working? I have tried both ways according to you and still no luck (GoogleD-main , Dropbox-second//DR-main, GD-second). I even tried @behzod link in a new created file in GD and not working getting an #error! , syntaxis is good I checked several times.

ARyS
New member | Level 2

Solved! My formula uses an ; intead of a coma

Need more support?