cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile App on Android fails to open protected word files

Dropbox on Android suddenly unable to open protected Word document

eastpaw
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello. I've had the same password protected Word doc in my dropbox for years now.

On the same Android device I've been using for years as well, I am suddenly unable to open that file. When I try, I get a "File type not supported" error.

1. There is no "open with" option. There used to be one.
  2. I have tried reinstalling, wiping cache and data, etc - Dropbox app as well as Office and Word apps.
  3. I have tried unlinking and linking Office and Word to Dropbox. On my device as well as on the web.
  4. I have tried saving the file to device.

There is nothing wrong with the file.

1. I can open it just fine from Dropbox PC.
  2. I can also open it on my phone from the Word app.

When I try to open a non-protected Word doc, I get a preview. And only then does an "open with" option appear.

Solutions desired:

1. Setting Dropbox Android to open Word docs in the Word app by default rather than trying to give me a preview.
  2. Also, reinstatement of the "open with" option outside of doc preview. (This has completely disappeared for all my Dropbox files, not just this one.)
30 Replies 30

eastpaw
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, @Megan ,

I only use Dropbox through its Android and Windows apps.

If I mentioned website earlier, that must have been in reference to attempts to fix the Android problems through changing settings. As described in that help article we've both referred to, for instance.

RetiredEE
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dropbox mobile Android APP version 304.2.4 now fails to open protected word doc files. Default app is set to word. 

Unprotected doc file opens without issue, but the same password protected file fails to opens with error: "File Type no supported". 

The desktop version 161.4.4923 works correctly.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @RetiredEE, thanks for the report!

Could you send us a screenshot of the exact error you're getting so that we can have a visual too?

Also. what is your device's exact OS version?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

RetiredEE
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thanks Walter for reply. Hope this helps to solve the problem..
Here is the Dropbox error display when failing to open a protected doc..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyqttqcfypm7kdt/Screenshot_20221115-194851_Dropbox.jpg?raw=1

My OS is Android version 13

RetiredEE
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Sorry Walter my fat fingers typed wrong OS. I have Android V 12 not 13

jereunderwood
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After struggling to figure out what I would do since Dropbox was now saying that one of my very essential files could no longer be opened on my Android phone because this Word document was encrypted in Microsoft Word, I accidentally discovered that the problem can easily be solved if you simply ignore the message "File type not supported" and click on the vertical three-dot-menu at the top right of the screen and then select "Open with..." Then choose Word to open the document and all is exactly as it used to be. The message "File type not supported" should definitely be changed to avoid this confusions.  

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jereunderwood, we appreciate your feedback here.

And thanks for sharing this, it's really helpful.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

eastpaw
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So it was a bad UI problem all this while.

The kebab menu on the "file type not supported" screen visually appears to have only 3 options because of a poorly placed horizontal line. But it's actually possible to scroll down to reveal more options.

Screenshot_20221115_093422_com.dropbox.android.png

Be assured I am face-palming repeatedly right now.

Thank you, @jereunderwood , for finding the solution.

jereunderwood
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Exactly right, Eastpaw!

RetiredEE
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Love your ability to insert the screens-shots. Could you share how you add them. I can only add a link - your method is so much cleaner. Thanks

Need more support?