cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync comments onto Word docs (or download them)

Sync comments onto Word docs (or download them)

carlosfpardo
New member | Level 2

The document commenting function of the platform is useful for those who comment, but cumbersome to use effectively for those on the receiving end and, worse, confusing when sharing links. For instance, when one shares a link to a Word document with the intention for others to download its latest version, they sometimes think they should be using the online commenting function. As the receiver of these documents, I can't really use those comments effectively, and the best (or least-worst) approach is to have two windows open: one with the online comments, and another with the "actual" document in Word. I have to scroll down to each comment, find each and then respond to them in the Word document itself.

Google drive is seamless at all this. I use Dropbox instead of Drive because it doesn't damage original Word formatting (which is crucial for things like academic references via Endnote or Mendeley).

My suggestion is that you do one (or more) of the following:

- have a visible function to disable commenting on a file to avoid confusions;

- In Word documents, figure out a way to integrate your dropbox comments onto the Word file itself (as a regular Word comment that can later become 

- In Word documents, figure out a way to signal comments IN the document itself made via the online platform.

- Have DB comments sync in the Word online version of the doc.

This idea is similar to another one that was closed recently but I hope this is better explained: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Download-Comments-as-DOCs-or-PDFs/idi-p/422436 

1 Reply 1

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @carlosfpardo, how are you today? 

Your comments on our Microsoft integration have been quite helpful, and I will do everything I can to ensure that your voice is heard.

I'll forward your feedback to the appropriate areas so we can continue to improve.

Thank you!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?