cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you know more about files sizes, you can make more informed decisions about which files you upload and then you can maximize the space in your Dropbox Basic account?

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does Dropbox youse iCloud for?

What does Dropbox youse iCloud for?

Turbulent
Helpful | Level 6

(I hope I filed this correctly under Integrations)

Screenshot taken on an iPhone (iOS > Settings > Apple ID > iCloud). The question applies to iPadOS as well. What does Dropbox use iCloud for?

IMG_C2346A927FCB-1.jpeg

3 Replies 3

Re: What does Dropbox youse iCloud for?

Chris_J
Super User

Hello Turbulent

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.  Did you connect Dropbox to the File app?   In the file app in Apple, one can connect to various cloud services, including Dropbox.  My guess is that you added Dropbox to the File App thus it has the feature to add Dropbox to iCloud 

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Turbulent, if you have iCloud Photos enabled, when using the camera upload feature, if your photos are using iCloud Optimization, then Dropbox would need to to connect to iCloud to download the full-sized image to upload to Dropbox.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Turbulent
Helpful | Level 6

It looks like Dropbox adds this toggle button upon installation, whether or not you are actually using a Dropbox feature that requires iCloud. I am not aware that I am using such a feature.

It would be better if iOS or Dropbox could reveal to the user what iCloud is being used for.

Under Files > Edit Sidebar > I see Dropbox as a possible location to enable. But I have not enabled it (toggle button = off). I guess here again, Dropbox has added itself. No, I did not connect Dropbox to the Files app. Dropbox did that by itself it seems or maybe via a connected third party app? I am using Cryptomator with Dropbox.

What you replied indicates that the Files app accepts "foreign" cloud services like Dropbox as a location. I wonder though what exactly iCloud is being used for in this case. Dropbox is a cloud service on its own, so why would it need to sync anything via iCloud? Are the files themselves being synced via iCloud or just some metadata about activity in Dropbox?

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Turbulent Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropboxer
    Chris_J Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?