cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Open in Finder" and "Open in Word" not showing in Safari OSX for Mac

"Open in Finder" and "Open in Word" not showing in Safari OSX for Mac

Scott H.
Collaborator | Level 9

Hey folks,

When viewing dropbox files from the Safari browser (Safari v 13.0) I can no longer see the "Show in Finder" or 'Open in Word" / "Open in Adobe Acrobat" options for files. 

I also have Chrome installed on my Mac (v77.0.3865.90) and I can confirm that these DO work on Chrome. See pics below.

These items used to show in Safari, however it seems that after updating to Safari v13.0 this has stopped working. 

Any ideas for resolution would be gratefully received as Safari is my default browser. 

Cheers,

Scott

Safari Browser.png

Chrome Browser 1.png

109 Replies 109

WildfireQueen
Helpful | Level 7

Dropbox, can you explain why you've downgraded this functionality so?

Is there a reason for it, because it doesn't seem hiding such an initially efficient option behind several clicks and pages is very user friendly.

Would be great if you could give an actual explanation after people waited for several years for the fix of the option in Safari and you recently downgrading the functionality in Chrome with the new redesign. Or explain the thought process behind it. Instead of "investigating" the "issue" with individual users and not following up on those "investigations". Especially since it's not a bug or issue with the user, but a conscious designchoice Dropbox made.

Frankly, I think all of us here would really love an update on where you stand in this. I've taken time and effort to explain and document the issue, and haven't heard anything back after you've requested that information from me.

JuliaScruggs
New member | Level 2

This is extremely disappointing and now they have taken away the Dropbox App for Mac...  I am disappointed in the lack of accountability dropbox has taken in this matter, with no effort to resolve it... I am working to move our whole law firm to start using an alternative system for file storage/sharing as we are all 100% working remotely and have to have a system that is user friendly and actually works.

aleksandorov
New member | Level 2

I just had a long chat with Dropbox dude. This issue has not been solved. They removed this very useful option and hid it behind 5 clicks (if you know what you're doing). This is a big waste of time and patience for someone working with dropbox files all day long.

dgreeney
Helpful | Level 6

It sure is a waste of time!  I don't even bother with the "Open in Finder" option anymore.  It's buried so deep that it's far easier to just use the Mac Dropbox app, search for the file (even using part of a word) and then quickly "Open in Finder" from there.

We'll see how long it is until Dropbox gets rid of this very useful feature, too!

eyeforty
New member | Level 2

Also interested in this. Using Safari v15.5. The show in finder option is appearing in chrome but not Safari.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @eyeforty, thanks for the nudge here. 

Do you perhaps see a 'Dropbox' option with a Dropbox icon next to it in these options in Safari? 

If so, can you please click on that, to see if that works?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

eyeforty
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply Hannah. Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing. Am I missing something?

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 4.25.05 PM.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot, @eyeforty!

Hmm, can you confirm that the Dropbox application is running on your computer, and that the website is signed into the same Dropbox account?

If so, can you please clear Safari's cache, to see if that makes a difference?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

steveohm33
New member | Level 2

I'm also having this problem - no "Open in finder" option in safari, only chrome. Latest safari, Ventura 13.3.1, enterprise dropbox account. Synced directories in our dropbox folder. Private window, no change.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @steveohm33, have you tried checking out this article to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?