cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Open with" option missing

"Open with" option missing

Luc_W
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm using the Dropbox app in a Pixelbook, and until today, I used to be able to open pdf files using Xodo Docs by clicking on the three vertical dots on the right of the file names.  For some reason, the "Open with" option in the dialog has disappeared, and I have been unable to recover it. 

The dialog looks like this now: http://bit.ly/2ErF8dM

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Dropbox app, to no avail.

I have even done a factory reset of the Pixelbook, but when I log into my Google account, the setup process automatically re-installs all the apps I had in the previous iteration of Pixelbook.

This leads me to believe that my Google account has created a mirror image of the "profile" or "setting" files of the corrupted Dropbox app, reintroduces them to the machine after the factory reset.

Is there a way to remove every single file (especially profile) associated with the Dropbox app?  Uninstalling Dropbox via Play Store simply removes the app, but if I reinstall it, and open and log in to Dropbox, everything looks like before, including the "Recents" menu (with the files recently opened).  

Incidentally, this is not a specifically pdf issue.  The dialog looks the same if I try to open a *.docx file, for instance.

Thanks for your help.

32 Replies 32

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Luc_W

Yes, you can opt out of betas! Go to our app’s settings on your Android, look for Early Releases, and tap on it. You should be taken to a page allowing you to opt out. Once you do that, you’ll only be updated with stable versions :wink:

Have a great weekend!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @jay h.5, welcome to our forum! 

Yeah, as noted, our team is looking into this. In the meantime, you can use the methods described above to open your files with the apps of your choice. 

Cheers 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

greig2000uk
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The methods mentioned to open do not work for the apps I want to use.

Excel docs are only offered microsoft excel app, I use Office Suite Pro.

PDF is only offered Adobe app, I use another app

there is no way to select personal prefered apps, will this be fixed soon?

thanks

Luc_W
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Sanchez,

I have opted out of the betas.

This is what I see now when I look at the dropbox app in the Google Play Store

http://bit.ly/2Fz1Wte

I have uninstalled and re-installed the app, but it's still in version 78.2.2.

So, unfortunately, this has NOT reverted me to the stable version.

And I am still missing the "Open with" menu in the dialog box:

http://bit.ly/2FBnt4L

I am currently getting around this issue by following the instructions provided by rodrigo_dbx.  I'm getting work done, but it's impractical for the long term.

I hope this problem will be fixed soon.

Thanks.

Vernon
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Luc_W and @greig2000uk,

Our engineers are working on it so as to get to a solution as soon as possible.

We'll keep you guys posted!

Thanks a lot for your patience and cooperation on this. Cheers!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I answer your question?---> Accept as Solution White check mark :nerd:
Kudos are always welcome! :bacon:

rodrigo_dbx
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Jay 5,

Sorry to hear that. Did you Open From from within the Document Preview as shown above? That should work.

Thanks,

Rodrigo

Android Engineer @ Dropbox

jay h.5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, that works. But what was one click is now a two step process. Dropbox no longer respects the default because there isn't any way to set it (no "Open With" from the dialog box).

soloct46
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Did your engineers find a solution?

gribley
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm using Dropbox on Android (80.2.2) and am trying to access folders available offline.  If I click on a PDF, it opens in the internal viewer.  A month ago there was an "Open with..." option (in the three-dot dropdown in the file listing).  That option isn't there now, and I apparently can *only* open the pdf in the internal Dropbox viewer, even though the default application is set to use an external viewer (Xodo).  

Has DB entirely eliminated the ability to "Open with" another application?  

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Do you have an Export option? On iOS, Open in... is available after selecting Export.

Need more support?