cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Stop the Third World War! Dropbox help

Will dropbox be blocked in Russia?

Maksim Usenko
Helpful | Level 5

Hi everyone, I'm trying to find any official news/statements dropbox accessibility from Russia, maybe you can share some links

41 Replies 41

SashaOK
Explorer | Level 4

No politics here. This forum is the place to discuss Dropbox clients problems and supporting bloody regimes is a problem. And it is not only about Dropbox. Every business should cancel russia. It is the only way to stop the wild horde from east.

And do not call you Ukrainian Jew - @Chai234 seems you are putin's Jew, infected with kremlin propaganda. You are still using kremlin fakes to talk about historical personalities - read history books based on facts and forget about russian mythology.

My grand grand mother buried on Babyn Yar (recently was attacked by russian rocket - the family with children died there).

My grand mother with grand father moved to Stryi (West of Ukraine) in 1943 to hide from hitler nazi and russian communists.

My relatives from St.Peterburg moved to Israel a long time ago (so they were not infected with this propaganda).

We do not call us "Ukrainian Jews" - we all are Ukrainians (does not matter what religion we have).

And Yes, as it has never been a hate speech (only in sick russian's fantasies), Glory to Ukraine, Glory to USA, Glory to EU, Glory to Israel and to all other partners. And glory to all heroes who help us to protect from russian fascism.

Teri_Grander
Helpful | Level 5

So, your family suffered, you percieve Russia was the cause of that, and now everyone in Russia has to suffer? People should lose their jobs, their children should go hungry? Is that what you want?

Chai234
Helpful | Level 6

Technically the term Ukrainian Jew is a simplification for those unfamiliar with the land. You are not considered Ukrainian if you are Jewish from the Ukraine to a good plurality of people. This is how nationalists think. This is why saying Slava Ucraini (and Slava Rusi) should result in jail time for hate speech. Ukrainian is an ethnicity and saying such implies race.

Jewish people from Podolia are mostly Litvaks who settled during the Lithuanian-Polish Commonwealth. Chassidism grew and Podolia became the center of orthodox culture in the world for about 100 years. 

The Russian Empire did not necessarily treat Jewish people great either. Jews before the mass extermination by Ukrainian nationalists in 1919 were mostly pro-Western. They were relegated to a shadow economic system by the Ukrainians, and in the cities, like today, people more or less got along just fine. Some Jewish people even spoke Ukrainian then, and some of those even worked for Petliura.

However, the rebels of the Chassadim spoke Russian to rebel against strict religion. Russian was the cool kids language, and you will note on many immigration papers the children of emigres listed Russian as their primary language. Canadian immigration authorities only considered you a Ukrainian immigrant if you spoke Ukrainian as well. There were differences in settlement based on this in the diaspora. Ukrainians and Jews from the Ukraine didn't really commingle in the new country...for obvious reasons I have explained.

Why would Zelensky sign this racist law that came into effect January 16th of 2022? This was the final straw for Putin. Government officials faced prison for speaking Russian. Seems kind of odd when you know 50% of the country speaks Russian natively and they want to keep control of breakaway territories. 

While I can educate you on the history of the Ukraine and the minority populations for hours, it comes down to this, banning Russia and Russians is ridiculous. Dropbox should restore access to Crimea as well. This is not because I like Putin or support the war. I oppose repressing anyone, and I will fight for a free and independent Ukraine. People in the West however need to chill out and educate themselves on what is going on, and why it is happening. This is a USA/NATO problem firstly. Ukrainian nationalists who do bad things to minorities is secondary. There are also Russian nationalists doing the same.

Everyone needs to calm down and think rationally. My business lost a lot of money because of this war. My plans to expand in Kyiv are scrapped forever. There is no way back. Nobody wishes for peace more than me. However, I will not allow misconceptions and lies to pervade regardless of who accomplishes what in this war. We all will lose, but the truth of history shall be preserved.

If you'd like more rabbinical resources or sources on information I am happy for anyone to learn more. History wouldn't have repeated if people would have valued truth instead of emotion.

Chai234
Helpful | Level 6

In truth, many people suffered in the history of Russia and Ukraine. This is a domestic dispute. Domestics are the nasty fights, and people on the outside should just stay out of it because you risk escalating things more.

Russia has done many terrible things, Ukraine has done, and continues to do bad things. There are many idle people in Europe now wanting to also do bad things. Let's think about the consequences of WWIII. Let's realize we have it pretty good still, and that we can help refugees get on with their life at the current scale of the war.

If nuclear war breaks out, we won't be able to help anyone, even if we survive. Racism against Russians is the same as racism against anyone else. Sanctions are a tool nations can use to rein in certain behaviors. It's not necessarily a bad thing to sanction countries, but in reality both belligerents in this war need sanctions, not just Russia. People are pouring in money to a corrupt government that is opaque as any banana republic stereo type of corruption.

I don't support banning Ukrainians, even North Korean from accessing the free world. Isolating people just escalates things. The problem here is nobody listens to anyone anymore without resorting to ad hominem attacks. If Dropbox bans Russians spuriously now, they will block your data next. Mob mentality won't stop at one issue. You will eventually be consumed by it too.

Finally, nobody cared when Armenia was attacked mercilessly by Azerbaijan based on race in late 2020. It was horrible, but Azeris still had dropbox, as they should. After the brutal senseless war, Armenia has made peace with its enemy who genocided half its population in 1915. Now trade begins and people hopefully will move on to fruitful enterprise. After all a large part of Turkey used to be Armenia. They aren't that different. The sooner people decide to act rationally, the happier everyone is.

And yes sadly, war between Russia and Ukraine is what made peace between Armenia and Turkey, but it's a silver lining worth remembering.

Chai234
Helpful | Level 6

The third option is forcing Ukraine's puppet regime to capitulate in a face saving manner that retains a free Ukraine, albeit smaller. There's only a choice to lose a lot or lose even more now unfortunately. Humans are very bad at thinking rationally when you have only options that are very bad.

Russia basically can't lose because of nuclear weapons. We need a world without nuclear weapons, but it will never happen by escalating this situation. 

Someone has to be the bigger person and say enough is enough. Even if they are morally right.

leocleo
Helpful | Level 6

Все закончится, когда они перестанут прикрываться мирными жителями, как "живым щитом".

Когда будут уничтожены батальоны "Азов" и другие.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hello World
Helpful | Level 5
This is a commercial organization. And she has to lose money just because you feel like it? Yes, some companies temporarily left Russia. But will be back as soon as possible. Nobody wants to lose their money. This is business. Nothing personal.

SashaOK
Explorer | Level 4

Good day. Recently putin's fascists targeted supermarket (Supermarket, Carl!). Probably because it was possible to buy there the latest iPhone and order the BigMac menu. The attack was sponsored by Dropbox and others (who still work with terrorists).

@Chai234 All your conclusions are very russian propaganda addicted. Drop it and everything will be clear for you.

@leocleo Very ugly to comment it. I wonder, do you really believe in these or they just pay you? Good news for you - I heard the they are searching new meat and give 200-300$/month. You can join them and become 200 or 300 cargo as more then 15000 ones like you already.

Thanks all for your replies. Removing all data from Dropbox and switching to OneDrive as have just ordered the subscription. 

Igor80
Helpful | Level 5

@SashaOK why are you sitting here and writing about that at (ATTENTION!) Dropbox forum? what is your point? maybe you have nothing to do else but sitting at Dropbox forum? or its a target of your interesting life? please stop wasting your life time with hate here, everybody are very tiring about your hate here. Im not saying that putin is not a murder or dictator and else, but please stop writing here that hate, take this time to your family if you have the one or something else. Just advise.

SashaOK
Explorer | Level 4

Seems the checkbox does not work - still receiving notification.

@Igor80 when someone will come to kill you and destroy you city you will understand the difference between hate and righteous anger. It is more then hate.

Of course the Dropbox is not my target - I am contacting almost all companies which products or services I use, used or planning to use. Fortunately most of them already did the right choice. It does not much time.

Moreover I am working with other volunteers to collect the list of companies and public persons who supports fascism directly or silently. This will help people to decide which service or product to choose.

Need more support?