cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 2-step verification - can't get a code from Dropbox

2-step verification - can't get a code from Dropbox

tra t.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

yesterday and today I was trying to log in my [email removed by moderator] personal paid account using 2-step verification, my phone number is still the same ending with *8596 but Dropbox doesn't send me codes via text message. I press "didn't receive code button" but still receive nothing. Please offer me a resolution asap.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peio
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Trat,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with two-step verification.

If your account is still linked to your computer or smartphone, you may be able to disable two-step verification from the security page. See below for more information:

Case A: Your account is still linked to your computer

If your computer is still linked to Dropbox, you should be able to launch the Dropbox website from the Dropbox icon in your menu bar or system tray. Click on the Dropbox icon and select "Launch Dropbox Website." If this logs you in then you can disable two-step verification from the security page.

https://www.dropbox.com/account/security

Case B: You are logged into your account from a smartphone

If you do not have your Dropbox account currently linked to your computer, but have access to Dropbox through the mobile application on your smartphone and a computer that you can use, you can access the Dropbox website by going through our remote installation process.

To do this, please go to your mobile application and:

1) Click on the “Settings” tab
2) Click on “Link a Computer”
3) Follow the instructions indicated on this flow
4) Once you have scanned the QR code, you will automatically be logged into your Dropbox account.
5) Click on the Dropbox icon on top left corner of the welcome page in front of you to access the homepage of your Dropbox account

From here, you can disable two-step verification from the security page.

After you disable two-step verification, if you have a smartphone, we recommend that you consider re-enabling it using the offline authenticator application, especially if you are consistently having problems with receiving SMS. The offline authenticator application is currently available for iOS, Android, BlackBerry and Windows Phone 7. You can read more about it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/363#2fa-apps

If you set up two-step verification using an offline authenticator application, please note that the security codes generated are unique and time-sensitive. The codes generated on your device are based on the time and date, so please ensure the time and date are correctly set on both your phone and the computer you are attempting to log into.

If you set up two-step verification using SMS, please note that the SMS security codes are also unique and time-sensitive. If you are using SMS to receive the two-step verification code, please make sure you enter the code when it arrives.

If you still have your two-step verification emergency backup code, please try this option to log in. When entering codes please make sure you transcribed the code correctly. Be sure not to write 0 for O 1 for l or and vise-versa. Try different combinations to be sure. Also, if you enabled two-step verification more than once then be sure to use the newest backup code. When you get a new backup code the old one is invalidated. Any time you use the backup code you disable two-step verification.

You can find more information on the emergency backup code here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/364/

If you have a primary or backup phone number listed on your account, and you still have access to it, please reply to this email and specify what that number is. Even if you haven't been receiving codes through our normal process, we may be able to send you a manual verification code using a different method.

To learn more about two-step verification in general please reference our Help Center here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/363

I hope this information helps!

Thanks,
Peio

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Peio
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Trat,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with two-step verification.

If your account is still linked to your computer or smartphone, you may be able to disable two-step verification from the security page. See below for more information:

Case A: Your account is still linked to your computer

If your computer is still linked to Dropbox, you should be able to launch the Dropbox website from the Dropbox icon in your menu bar or system tray. Click on the Dropbox icon and select "Launch Dropbox Website." If this logs you in then you can disable two-step verification from the security page.

Case B: You are logged into your account from a smartphone

If you do not have your Dropbox account currently linked to your computer, but have access to Dropbox through the mobile application on your smartphone and a computer that you can use, you can access the Dropbox website by going through our remote installation process.

To do this, please go to your mobile application and:

1) Click on the “Settings” tab
2) Click on “Link a Computer”
3) Follow the instructions indicated on this flow
4) Once you have scanned the QR code, you will automatically be logged into your Dropbox account.
5) Click on the Dropbox icon on top left corner of the welcome page in front of you to access the homepage of your Dropbox account

From here, you can disable two-step verification from the security page.

After you disable two-step verification, if you have a smartphone, we recommend that you consider re-enabling it using the offline authenticator application, especially if you are consistently having problems with receiving SMS. The offline authenticator application is currently available for iOS, Android, BlackBerry and Windows Phone 7. You can read more about it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/363#2fa-apps

If you set up two-step verification using an offline authenticator application, please note that the security codes generated are unique and time-sensitive. The codes generated on your device are based on the time and date, so please ensure the time and date are correctly set on both your phone and the computer you are attempting to log into.

If you set up two-step verification using SMS, please note that the SMS security codes are also unique and time-sensitive. If you are using SMS to receive the two-step verification code, please make sure you enter the code when it arrives.

If you still have your two-step verification emergency backup code, please try this option to log in. When entering codes please make sure you transcribed the code correctly. Be sure not to write 0 for O 1 for l or and vise-versa. Try different combinations to be sure. Also, if you enabled two-step verification more than once then be sure to use the newest backup code. When you get a new backup code the old one is invalidated. Any time you use the backup code you disable two-step verification.

You can find more information on the emergency backup code here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/364/

If you have a primary or backup phone number listed on your account, and you still have access to it, please reply to this email and specify what that number is. Even if you haven't been receiving codes through our normal process, we may be able to send you a manual verification code using a different method.

To learn more about two-step verification in general please reference our Help Center here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/363

I hope this information helps!

Thanks,
Peio

OzS24
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, my name is Conor.

In regards to this "If you have a primary or backup phone number listed on your account, and you still have access to it, please reply to this email and specify what that number is. Even if you haven't been receiving codes through our normal process, we may be able to send you a manual verification code using a different method."

I need to do that ASAP and I can verify my identity with any and all info required - [email removed as per Community Guidelines]

gypped
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a similar problem in that my old phone completely broke, and MetroPCS was more than unhelpful in assisting me to get a new one. I offered to buy any phone they had, just so I could keep my old phone number, and no one would help, not even at the corporate level! I called them and emailed them every day for a month to try to get it resolved, but I couldn't do it in time, and they reassigned my number. Unfortunately, my two-step verification for this site was tied to that number, and now I can't access my account without entering a code that Dropbox is sending to my old number. Of course, I don't have that phone anymore and after this much time has passed, I can't even remember what the number is.

There should be an emergency way to access one's account. I offered to upload my social security card, passport, driver licence, fingerprints, ANYTHING, to verify my identity, and there's no way to do it.

I'm heartbroken. I had a lot of old family pictures that can never be recovered. There has to be a better way. Even CreditKarma allows you to send a copy of your passport with your current utility bill to verify your identity, if you want to change your number.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You are given emergency ways to access when you set up 2FA gypped - they are in the form of 16 digit passwords. Unfortunately though you told Dropbox to not allow anybody access to your account without either the 2FA code OR one of those 16 digit pin numbers. You cannot now expect the company to change that when they've no way of proving who you are. Uploading documents does not prove anything as they can be quickly and easily photoshopped.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?