Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

17 Comments
0 Likes
Highlighted
Level 1

3.4.3 not propagating changes made on the computer

Since updating to 3.4.3 on a linux (Ubuntu) computer, the changes I make on the computer are not propagated. Any changes made from any other computer (running older versions) or made directly to the dropbox using the web interface are propagated to the computer. I thought there might be a delay, but if there is, it is longer than 5 hours even for a small change on a dummy text file (so nothing to do with syncing large files), so this makes dropbox useless to me.
I have also experienced a lot of deleted files, I cannot quite establish what happens. Here is what I observe. Whenever I stop dropbox (or log off) with this computer, a load of files are deleted from the dropbox yet they are STILL PRESENT on my computer. As with the previous point, if I delete a file on the web interface, it is deleted from my computer. So, when the files are automatically deleted at log of, when I restart dropbox, or log back in, they are then deleted from my computer.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

anne

17 Replies
Level 2

Re: 3.4.3 not propagating changes made on the computer

Might be some file system bugs on Linux? Dropbox.com should reproduce this on Monday, top priority.

3.4.3 is working for me, on Windows 8/Firefox 36.0.4. But it does spend many minutes displaying "Connecting..." before it starts working. I wish this were open source, so I could find simple bugs like this and report them. Being able to debug Dropbox easily would help us users help the developers.

Level 1

Hi,
I am also affected by this problem. The new 3.4.3 client (on Linux Ubuntu 10.04, 64bit, kernel 3.0) does not detect local changes, new or modified files are not uploaded, renaming or moving files/folder causes their deletion in cloud (as stated via web interface Events).
Changes via web interface work and also changes in shared folders made by others work. I tried to install the previous working version 3.2.9, but it auto-updated to 3.4.3, which caused redownloading all files and rebuilding dropbox's database (took nearly 1 day) - but the problem is still present.
"dropbox status" shows "Up to date", "dropbox filestatus" shows "up to date" even for the files/folders that are not synced to the cloud/web.

Another problem is the very long indexing of all files (~70k files, ~15k folders, ~15GB total) when dropbox starts or after resuming sync, which was not such a problem in previous versions.

I hope someone looks into this, as it makes dropbox unusable, thanks

E.

Level 2

Developers: please try to reproduce this bug on your own Linux system. It sounds worthy of your attention.

Dropboxer

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your reports. We are taking a look.

--John

Level 1

Hey Anne,

What filesystem is your Dropbox on? The filesystem must support xattrs and inotify - see the help center for more details.

Thanks,
Eric

Level 1

I have same problem.
Dropox Version 3.4.3 and Debian/x86_64 8.0/jessie, XFS filesystem

Level 1

3.4.3, Linux Mint, 64-bit, 3.0 kernel -- same problem here. This problem happened when I was an early tester of 3.4.x, so I downgraded, but now that 3.4 is "stable", the auto-updater has forced my update and I'm experiencing the problem again. :( Several others have reported the same issue at: https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/communities/public/questions/202197509-Stable-Build-3-4-3

Level 1

Eric, when you ask "The filesystem must support xattrs and inotify" -- do you mean the filesystem of the Dropbox application/configuration, or the filesystem of the files themselves? In my case, the Dropbox app/config is in /home/user, which is ext4 (and xattrs don't seem to be enabled). However, all the dropbox files are on a separate partition /storage/Dropbox which is JFS and has xattrs enabled. Do I also need to enable xattrs on the ~/ home folder ext4 partition??

Level 1

Same problem as you're all having, but on OSX. Additionally, Dropbox seems to crash once it attempts any syncing.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Managing your account.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post