cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

March contest: Post your Paper workflow to win a Dropbox t-shirt and tote bag!

yes

Highlighted

A new web browser just signed in to your Dropbox account.

Level 2

I just got this message from Dropbox - A new web browser just signed in to your Dropbox account.

Within 20 minutes or so, I saw the message and responded saying that No, the login (attempt) was NOT me.    I was then asked to confirm recent logins, and I "closed" (or "X"ed out) the login in question.

My question is... how do I know if someone successfully logged into my account and was possibly downloading files (which would require a lot of effort for me to react)... OR whether it was anunsuccessful attempt to log-in?

It seems pretty unlikely that someone actually logged in, but that's what the Dropbox wording says.

Thanks in advance

7 Replies

Re: A new web browser just signed in to your Dropbox account.

Dropboxer
Hey there, @cfmspencer

In general, if you think that your account was accessed from an unfamiliar location, the first thing we recommend is to go to the Security tab in your account settings to see all the current sources of activity on your account (which you mention that you already did). 

For more suggestions on what else to check, you can have a look at this link, as well as this article which mentions some ways on how you can protect your account. 

If you have any further queries concerning this though, due to account-specific info that’d be required to investigate this, you can contact our Support team directly via email. Rest assured, they’ll do their best to assist you. 

I hope this helped to some extent!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Super User II

@cfmspencer wrote:

... how do I know if someone successfully logged into my account...

The message you received tells you. A new web browser signed in to your account. It wasn't unsuccessful. That message is only sent upon a successful sign-in. Change your password, now.

Level 2

Hi! Have you checked sign in location? Was it Paris by any chance? I'm asking because I had the same problem yesterday by downloading one malicious program from Reddit. Luckily I cought it in time and found out the source of the unrecognized sign in.

Also check your Dropbox home menu where it shows your action history. If someone else signed in into your account you should see info about opened files that you never opened just before that notification that you received.

Level 2

thanks for your response, I changed my password within 20 minutes of the message being sent.  And I deleted a session from an unknown browser type as well, so quickly, that it was gone before I could investigate IP Address.

Is it possible that the browser type reported for the successful login could've been mis-identified?  Windows OS was reported, whereas my own logins are MacOS.  I ask because the location was in the Midwest, which is where my own IP address appears to be from (due to use of satellite internet access) on a regular basis, so the location wasn't a concern of mine.

Level 2

thanks for youre detailed response

Level 2

no, it was not Paris.

Thanks very much for pointing me towards the file history.  This was very helpful!

Level 2
Yes change it.
Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

7 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post