cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: A new web browser just signed in to your Dropbox account.

A new web browser just signed in to your Dropbox account.

cfmspencer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just got this message from Dropbox - A new web browser just signed in to your Dropbox account.

Within 20 minutes or so, I saw the message and responded saying that No, the login (attempt) was NOT me.    I was then asked to confirm recent logins, and I "closed" (or "X"ed out) the login in question.

My question is... how do I know if someone successfully logged into my account and was possibly downloading files (which would require a lot of effort for me to react)... OR whether it was anunsuccessful attempt to log-in?

It seems pretty unlikely that someone actually logged in, but that's what the Dropbox wording says.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martynas
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi! Have you checked sign in location? Was it Paris by any chance? I'm asking because I had the same problem yesterday by downloading one malicious program from Reddit. Luckily I cought it in time and found out the source of the unrecognized sign in.

Also check your Dropbox home menu where it shows your action history. If someone else signed in into your account you should see info about opened files that you never opened just before that notification that you received.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there, @cfmspencer

In general, if you think that your account was accessed from an unfamiliar location, the first thing we recommend is to go to the Security tab in your account settings to see all the current sources of activity on your account (which you mention that you already did). 

For more suggestions on what else to check, you can have a look at this link, as well as this article which mentions some ways on how you can protect your account. 

If you have any further queries concerning this though, due to account-specific info that’d be required to investigate this, you can contact our Support team directly via email. Rest assured, they’ll do their best to assist you. 

I hope this helped to some extent!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@cfmspencer wrote:

A new web browser just signed in to your Dropbox account.

... how do I know if someone successfully logged into my account...

The message you received tells you. A new web browser signed in to your account. It wasn't unsuccessful. That message is only sent upon a successful sign-in. Change your password, now.

Martynas
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi! Have you checked sign in location? Was it Paris by any chance? I'm asking because I had the same problem yesterday by downloading one malicious program from Reddit. Luckily I cought it in time and found out the source of the unrecognized sign in.

Also check your Dropbox home menu where it shows your action history. If someone else signed in into your account you should see info about opened files that you never opened just before that notification that you received.

cfmspencer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

thanks for your response, I changed my password within 20 minutes of the message being sent.  And I deleted a session from an unknown browser type as well, so quickly, that it was gone before I could investigate IP Address.

Is it possible that the browser type reported for the successful login could've been mis-identified?  Windows OS was reported, whereas my own logins are MacOS.  I ask because the location was in the Midwest, which is where my own IP address appears to be from (due to use of satellite internet access) on a regular basis, so the location wasn't a concern of mine.

cfmspencer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

thanks for youre detailed response

cfmspencer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

no, it was not Paris.

Thanks very much for pointing me towards the file history.  This was very helpful!

Mdana
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes change it.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Need more support?