Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Any plans for IPv6 support?

Level 1

Bought Dropbox pro to find out i can not use it on my IPv6 only connection, only on the IPv4

Come on Dropbox you can afford a IPv6 server !!

If anyone has a work arround please enlighten me slightly smiling face

26 Replies

Re: IPv6 Support??

Level 1

As a temporary solution i took an extra 5E/month hit and added an IP4 interface just for Dropbox.

This makes my Pro account alot more expensive :( (60 euro/year extra)

Please Dropbox add a IP6 interface to your cloud !

Only thing you have on ip6 is your mail host , they already did part of your work. (thnx google)

Now the rest

Dropboxer

Hi there,

After checking in with our engineering team, unfortunately we can't commit to a timeline for IPv6 access right now.

We apologise for the inconvenience.

Best,
Sofia

I'd also like to chime in on IPv6 support. I noticed today after adding a IPv6-only proxy that Dropbox stopped working.

Please enable Dropbox to work on modern networks.

Dropboxer

Hi all,

Thanks for continuing to post in this thread. Our infrastructure team is still actively looking into this.

Thanks for your patience.

Level 1

Dear Sofia,

Sorry to be blunt but they arent 'looking into it (or not properly)

They know how what and where (hell you have a mailserver running native IP6 already and your backbone supports it. so all of dropbox can with minimal effort

Security issues they cannot oversee might be a reason but to be honest if they know how their network is build up (and i surely hope they do) they can make the change prob within a week or less 

/sarcasm on

But IP6 hasnt been around for so long, only about 17 YEARS!!! (199smiling face with sunglasses maybe in another 17 years .....

/sarcasm off

In the mean time for those like me on IPv6 only, use an alternative or start your own cloudspace (sad since dropbox was one of the best)

With Kind regards,

Werner

Dropboxer

Hi again,

Could you all please let me know what exactly isn't working? You mentioned before that adding your IPv6-only proxy broke some functionality. Was that for the client or for https://www.dropbox.com as well? 

Thanks for the additional information. I'll be able to follow up with the respective engineering teams then.

Thanks

@Sofia,

The client stopped working on a Windows 8 PC. It seems the Dropbox client isn't able to use a HTTP Proxy that only exposes a IPv6 service to it. If i changed the proxy to use a v4 address it worked fine.

Haven't tested dropbox.com yet, but could test and return with results.

The proxy software used is called polipo.

dropbox.com works but the client spins on "connecting..."

Dropboxer

@Kristoffer: Yes please do test https://www.dropbox.com as well. That would be good to know because the last time I did check with our web engineering team. But knowing that you are mainly having trouble with the desktop client on the proxy helps, I'll check with our desktop client engineering team now.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Any plans for IPv6 support?
26 Replies
12 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post