cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Back to Dropbox Plus

JamesJ
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,
I would like to return to Dropbox Plus and have my account returned to the state it was in prior to being absorbed into a Dropbox Business account.

The sequence of events was:
-I was a Dropbox Plus user with many many files.
-I was invited to be a part of a Dropbox business account and I accepted.
-My Dropbox Plus account was cancelled (honestly, I missed this occurrence but have since reviewed my emails and see that I was notified, but not given a choice.)
-3 months later(present day) the business account that I was invited to was eliminated.
- Now I am confused because my account/email has been associated with a Dropbox Free account based on the business account which requires the permission of a non-existent administrator to upgrade my space.
-Because of this enigmatic Drop-wormhole I have been exiled to, leaving my previously safe and secure files in some hellish data limbo, I cannot get out and return to my previous existence as a lowly Dropbox Plus user so I can accept a flurry of invitations to use your service.
-Now I want to give you money and return to those sentimental days of yore but since I am not an actual Dropbox Business user but locked into a Dropbox Business account as a Dropbox Free user NO ONE WILL F*!#%ING RESPOND TO ME!!!
Please help.
Patiently Waiting,
James Fenton
PS
Under no circumstances offer me a Dropbox Business account.
jjf

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Cash
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You should be able to leave a 'limited' team, the state a downgraded Business Team enters when it isn't renewed. You will still be a Dropbox Basic account at that point, and would no longer have access to files that are part of the team account, so before you try to remove yourself you will want to ensure you make local copies of any of your files in the Team folders .  Once you have secured your files, and left the team, you should be able to upgrade to the personal account of your choice. 

When a personal account joins a Business account, ownership of the files in the personal account transfers to the team, and the account is downgraded to a Basic account, with a refund of the unused portion of the paid account.  (This is for the case of joining a business account with an existing paid account) 

According to our help files, you should be able to:

If you would like to leave a team:

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Choose your work account at the bottom left.
  3. Click the button by your team name: Groups and members or # members.
  4. Click Leave team.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@JamesJ wrote:

Hello,
I would like to return to Dropbox Plus and have my account returned to the state it was in prior to being absorbed into a Dropbox Business account.

Hello, @JamesJ...

It's unlikely that we'll be able to help you with your particular problem within the forum.  However, I can steer you in the right direction.

Below are some guidelines for contacting support via their official portal.

Please post your ticket number in this thread and I'll forward it to a Dropboxer who can dig deeper into your situation.

Phone support is available to Dropbox Business customers, your administrator can give the phone number and required PIN to you.  Basic and Plus accounts use the ticket system.

1. Submit a help request.
  2. Afterwards, you can track your ticket.

Replies usually take 1 to 3 business days with Plus and Pro users getting priority (longer for basic members).

PLEASE BE AWARE:

Do not submit more than one ticket for your particular problem.  Doing so will force your ticket to the end of the queue again which is counter-productive.

SUPPORT OPTIONS FOR INDIVIDUAL & TEAM PLANS:

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

HELP REQUEST TOPICS:

If you cannot find an appropriate help request topic to choose from, then select:

Rob_Cash
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You should be able to leave a 'limited' team, the state a downgraded Business Team enters when it isn't renewed. You will still be a Dropbox Basic account at that point, and would no longer have access to files that are part of the team account, so before you try to remove yourself you will want to ensure you make local copies of any of your files in the Team folders .  Once you have secured your files, and left the team, you should be able to upgrade to the personal account of your choice. 

When a personal account joins a Business account, ownership of the files in the personal account transfers to the team, and the account is downgraded to a Basic account, with a refund of the unused portion of the paid account.  (This is for the case of joining a business account with an existing paid account) 

According to our help files, you should be able to:

If you would like to leave a team:

4. Click Leave team.

JamesJ
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello Rob Cash, 

I don' t know who you are but in my mind you are a superhero. This worked out and I have returned to my status as a Dropbox Plus Plebian. Thank you!

Now further, how can one avoid being swept up into another business account and yet allow companies I work to harness my abilities without having to clear the entirety of my personal files and then replace them afterward? I move through a lot of studios and this could be very annoying.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

All the Best-

jjf 

JamesJ
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
310EI,
Thanks for this. It turns out there was a more direct route but I appreciate your efforts.
jjf

Rob_Cash
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Honestly, the way I have done this to protect my personal account, and still be able to test team functionality ( I'm actually a QA guy that gets to test this stuff fairly often) is to create a basic account that I use specifically for this purpose. As a Gmail user, I have simply set up an extension named account (for example, if my gmail address is rob_cash@gmail.com, I would use rob_cash+test1@gmail.com) since Gmail sees the address as the same as your other account, but Dropbox sees the two addresses as different accounts. 

When I need to use the test account for testing, I either rely on the web interface, or log out of the desktop client and switch to the test account in order to make it default, and manage my local files by moving only the intended to be shared content into the desktop client folder.  

It is a bit clunky, but gives me the security of being able to always isolate my personal account, while letting me test on our live servers when I need to.  If you never use the desktop client at all, it has even less impact since you just log into the appropriate account on the web. 

Hope that helps...  Maybe other folks with other solutions will chime in as well, but since I focus on specific tests, I just use this as a nearly foolproof way to manage them. 

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@JamesJ wrote:
310EI,
Thanks for this. It turns out there was a more direct route but I appreciate your efforts.
jjf

Hello, @JamesJ...

You're quite welcome.

I'm glad that @Rob_Cash's post was able to rectify your problem without contacting support :nerd:

AirArt
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I totally understand. It took many many weeks to find a number to call. But understand there no longer is a phone number you can call. All contact is via emails. Yes totally agree NO ONE RESPONDS. 

I have deleted the business account they freely upgraded me too and gone back, but did this on last day they had a phone number I could use. 

But now I can't find how to go back to what I had befoee the dropbox plus. 

If you worked it out, can you please tell me how you contacted them. Because I know other people are in the same boat as both of us, I have spoken to one lady crying on the phone over it all. This is crazy, we want some service. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @AirArt - welcome to our Community and thanks for posting your question here.

From what I understand you must have been downgraded from a Dropbox for Business team account - this is probably why you don't see the phone number in your Admin's console any more since you are on a free team now. 

Keep in mind that our levels of support can be found on this Help Center article  or on this page for your reference. 

Having said that, I would really like to assist more with this so let's get started! 

If I am not mistaken and you would indeed like to revert back to a personal account, you're going to have to leave the team by following these instructions

4. Click Leave team.

Note: If you're the admin and the last member of a free team, you should delete the team instead of leaving it in order to preserve access to your Paper docs.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need anything else!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?