cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Menu bar

Can I hide the Dropbox icon from the menu bar?

nnielsen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Can I remove the dropbox icon from the status bar, and later get it back without jeopardizing my dropbox account during that period?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, if you don’t want the icon in the menu bar you can simply quit the Dropbox desktop application, which will remove the icon.

This will obviously prevent the app from syncing in the meantime, however the icon will disappear from the menu until the next time you run the app or restart your computer.

As far as I know, there isn’t a way to hide it manually, unless a third party service can do this for you.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, if you don’t want the icon in the menu bar you can simply quit the Dropbox desktop application, which will remove the icon.

This will obviously prevent the app from syncing in the meantime, however the icon will disappear from the menu until the next time you run the app or restart your computer.

As far as I know, there isn’t a way to hide it manually, unless a third party service can do this for you.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

nnielsen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you very much for your speedy answer 🙂

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries! Have a great weekend ahead. 🙂

Jay
dropbox.com/support

michael36
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What kind of nonsense is this? It is 2020 and Dropbox can't provide an checkbox option to hide the icon?

I would love to use dropbox, but personally this is a deal breaker. As a paying customer I believe I shouldn't have to install 3rd party software to over come this shortcoming. 

Disappointed

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Actually, that depends on the OS and graphical environment in use. Many environments allow applications control on the icon appearance (change of application state - active or inactive). Particular icon could be set in the environment as "always shown" or "always hidden", application status independent. But, as I already noted, that depends on the environment, how exactly could be done. 😉 Dropbox doesn't support this explicitly. 😞😠

@michael36, Check your OS environment features 😉, probably you can change the appearance without using any third party application.

organicgrdnr
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The workaround that I found is to move the dropbox icon into the hidden icons folder at the end of the menu bar (where the printer queue and anti-virus icons are).  That way, it's not taking up a spot on the menu bar. 

bastonivineyards
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am in total agreement here that the icon in the memu bar at the top of the screen on my MAC should have a check box to not have it. If the software guys find offering a check box to NOT have the icon at the top of my screen, contact SweetP productions. They make a progrem called Cookie, and they have a preference check box that says, "Show Cookie in MemuBar" (so it shows the icon or not), and a second check box that says, "and Hide Dock Icon". I am amaized and disapointed that the drop box software guys are not able to provide something as simple as not giving us an icon to look at. My reason for having it gone is in 2019 Dropbox came out with this slam it down the customers mouth new system that forces you to click on the DB icon, and then on the FINDER FOLDER to get what we had for the past 15 years. I now have an alias of the dropbox icon becasue of this nonsense. I just drage items to it, or open it to find somehting. The icon at the top of the screen just takes up space and is never used thanks to the new 'system'. Just my two cents worth.

Need more support?