Change of billing address not supported

SOLVED
10 Comments
5 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2

Change of billing address not supported

Hi 

I have a regular 9.99 per month Basic membership.

I've recently moved to the USA from Australia. I'm attempting to change my billing details from an old Australian Visa card to my new USA one. When attempting this an error message appears in red:

"This billing country change is not supported"

How do I resolve this?

Thanks 

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Super User II

Re: Change of billing address not supported

Nothing. If you end up being over quota when the subscription runs out, syncing will stop, but it will start again when you re-subscribe. Your files will be safe in your account. Nothing will happen to them.

10 Replies
Super User II

Malstar wrote:

I've recently moved to the USA from Australia. I'm attempting to change my billing details from an old Australian Visa card to my new USA one.

There's no way to change the billing country on an active subscription. You need to let your subscription lapse and then sign up again with your new payment method. The following is a reply to a similar question from a Dropboxer:

Ashley scribbled:

Hi there! Unfortunately, it's not possible to change your billing country. If you'd like to change your billing country, you will need to allow your subscription to lapse, and then sign up for a new Pro subscription with your new billing information. I apologise for the inconvenience!

Level 2

Thanks Rich

What happens to all my pictures and files after I let my subscription lapse?

Solution
Super User II

Nothing. If you end up being over quota when the subscription runs out, syncing will stop, but it will start again when you re-subscribe. Your files will be safe in your account. Nothing will happen to them.

Level 2

Thanks. This seems a solution but I feel unease knowing that I need to let my subscription first run out.
Level 2

Rich wrote:

Malstar wrote:

I've recently moved to the USA from Australia. I'm attempting to change my billing details from an old Australian Visa card to my new USA one.

There's no way to change the billing country on an active subscription. You need to let your subscription lapse and then sign up again with your new payment method. The following is a reply to a similar question from a Dropboxer:

Ashley scribbled:

Hi there! Unfortunately, it's not possible to change your billing country. If you'd like to change your billing country, you will need to allow your subscription to lapse, and then sign up for a new Pro subscription with your new billing information. I apologise for the inconvenience!

What happens to files I do not have on my computer and are only stored on line. To let the account expire is a very uncomfortable solution. Do I loose those? How do my files get reenstated when I apply for a new pro subscription.

Super User II

Nicholas A.6 wrote:
What happens to files I do not have on my computer and are only stored on line.

Nothing. Files will not be deleted when you let your subscription expire. You simply will not be able to sync (add or change content) until you re-subscribe with your new payment method.

Level 2

I'm in the same situation, moved from Australia to Japan.

Change in credit card not supported.

Waiting until our account lapses doesn't feel, as a paying customer, like a particularly professional or well-thought out solution.

It seems like a stop-gap solution to a problem that wasn;t thought through.

People are internationally mobile these days.

In any case, the solution is not okay in my case, I'm unable to add any new files to my account until I update my credit card details. My account won't run out until November. So, I have to sit on my hands paying $99/month for nothing to wait for my account to expire.

Response from Dropbox would be appreciated.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting in touch on the Dropbox Community regarding your payment concern, I’d be glad to follow-up. 

I understand that you’d like to avoid the inconvenience of letting your account downgrade in order to update your billing details, though please keep in mind that, for technical reasons, changing the currency isn’t currently allowed for renewals. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. 

Furthermore, please let me follow-up on your issue below, since what you’re mentioning is unexpected:

I'm unable to add any new files to my account until I update my credit card details.

Are you receiving any error messages upon trying to upload your files? Your account shall be working correctly unless you downgrade, so if you don’t mind, I’d appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what you're seeing, so as to investigate that with you. 

Looking forward to your reply here!

Warm regards, 
JaneA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Accept as Solution White check mark if this post answers your question!
Kudos relieved face are always appreciated!! Rainbow

Level 2

Hi 

I have a Dropbox Pro - 1TB membership.

I've also recently moved to the USA from Australia. I'm attempting to change my billing details from an old Australian Visa card to my new USA one. When attempting this an error message appears in red:

"This billing country change is not supported"

How do I resolve this? 

It seems I can let my subscitption lapse and then resubscribe using new US card details. What happends to all my files and especially all the SHARED files/folders with other people? I'm well below my quota of 1TB at the moment. 

Thanks 

Fede