cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with auto renewal

KenLoebel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Due to auto billing without prior consent, I am recommend that a class action lawsuit be initiated against Drop Box for its enticing use of its product and then using a techniquie to lock people into contracts without prior consent or understanding. This may be viewed as Bait and Swithch by many, and the inability to discuss with a customer service rep is appalling. 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox cannot charge you without authorization.

When you upgrade to a paid account (the only time you would provide payment information) you're purchasing a subscription-based service that will auto-renew at the end of your term. By continuing with the purchase, you're agreeing to this. You're able to cancel the auto-renewal at any time prior to renewal. If you fail to do so you will be billed for a new term.

If this is still a concern, then you should make sure that your account is not set to auto-renew again. You can choose to downgrade your account from your Account page, or you can contact Dropbox Support for assistance.

View solution in original post

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Hi KenLoebel

You dont need to write to them to stop payments, you just go to www.dropbox.com/cancel

Do you happen to have any ticket numbers?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You mean the auto billing they send you an email about 6 weeks before its renewed? Or the one you agreed to upon signing up? Or the one that also tells you about it a few days before? That one. 

You've had plenty of opportunity to not have it auto renew, it isnt anybody's fault if you have ignored the warnings. You could of course just not use the service if you dont agree with it.

Edit: moves to correct forum and out of Feature requests. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

KenLoebel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes - that's what I mean. I did not see any announcements, and I did not recall getting notification sent to the email address that I use. I do not dispute that it is in the TOS. With Sprint, their TOS allows changing the pricing anytime, even though consumers sign a long term contract. They indicate that it is a contract with Sprint, and that the data plan is different. Courts ruled differently , of course, as it is a bait and switch tactic. Locking people in and then assuming a sale for the following years is a pathetic business practice and one that will be exposed. I am happy to expose it from Drop Box and to forewarn consumers. Have no doubtrs, PayPal felt the same way. So did others who I spoke with and posted with. It is a tactic to lock people in, make it difficult to get out of (there was literally no customer support), and be a cheap ass business approach to working with customers. If you like it, fine for you. I do not like it, and feel it is cheap, and I will fight for what I believe in - thanks for your commentary - I do nopt agree with the tactic and will pursue my approach. It is a tactic more and more silicon valuey firms are employing to be a pain in the ass to consumers and then provide some form of robo CSR that is nothing but a bureauracracy of hoops. I prefer One Drive and others. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Good luck with OneDrive as they also auto renew, as does Microsoft Office subscriptions.

batzzstorm
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Our first notification an overdraft notice from the bank.  we did not choose anything.  It was a non removable app on our phones that we got 2 years ago.    their unauthorize charge is now costing us over 200.00.  we are  65, living on a limited income very close to the bone.  this has ruined us.  Happened this last weekend.  Just let us know who to call.  And of course the bank is no help as they love their overdraft snacks.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox cannot charge you without authorization.

When you upgrade to a paid account (the only time you would provide payment information) you're purchasing a subscription-based service that will auto-renew at the end of your term. By continuing with the purchase, you're agreeing to this. You're able to cancel the auto-renewal at any time prior to renewal. If you fail to do so you will be billed for a new term.

If this is still a concern, then you should make sure that your account is not set to auto-renew again. You can choose to downgrade your account from your Account page, or you can contact Dropbox Support for assistance.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey all, 

I 'm just stepping in here to follow-up on any open tickets you may have with our team and see if I could expedite resolution. Please include them in your replies, so that I look them up internally. 

Thanks in advance, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

batzzstorm
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

They DID charge without authorization.  Support people admitted a mistake but would not clarify.  If you don't believe it, so be it.  WE are living with it.  We are not new to apps and even at 65 we can still learn a thing or 2.  And while they have refunded the initial charge....they will NOT help with orverdraft charges they generated.  

KenLoebel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The primary change needed is to change the arrogance of the automatic email replies that send the same messages when there is a real issue. Taking money from a bank account after being informed that the authorization is withdrawn may be a violation of federal laws and may be subject to severe penalties. Written notification withdrawing authorization to pull funds from any bank account provides docuimentation of instructions and a withrawal of authorization. The systems that this company uses is to try to wear out the consumer. I have a chain of more than 6 emails from DropBox with no effort to make a resolution, while I have provided written withrawal of authorization multiple times. I believe that when an impasse occurs with a company, reaching out through social media and to executives is the correct means to reach the people who are more concerned about legal issues and protecting the long term brand than by emailing CSR's who never pick up a phone to resolve issues. To me, this is a PR nightmare in the process because I value my financial rights to the extent that if a company refuses to acknowledge a complaint involving DropBox continuing to withdraw funds after authorization has been withdrawn and without resolving it, they are putting themsleves in a liability chain that may be extensive and costly. Legal action and contact with regulators often is the only strategy that gets a response. As such, those initiatives are under way. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Hi KenLoebel

You dont need to write to them to stop payments, you just go to www.dropbox.com/cancel

Do you happen to have any ticket numbers?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

petra23 Helpful | Level 7
    Cottam0089 Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    joydeason New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?