cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about why dropbox decided to have me sign up for a new account once I got a new computer?

1 Comment
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2

Confused about why dropbox decided to have me sign up for a new account once I got a new computer?

I had a dropbox account with my old computer, and had upgraded to the 1TB of space and synced a lot of my photos. However, once I purchased a new computer, it had me set up a new account for some reason... and now it's saying I need to upgrade even though I already did?

It's very confusing. I just don't want to be paying for two separate accounts by accident...

And another confusing thing is that I used to sign in through google, and I still do that with this account so it seems to recognize me as if this is still the same account, but without the 1TB of space I purchased. 

Hopefully this makes sense to someone who could clear it up for me. 

1 Reply
Dropboxer

Re: Confused about why dropbox decided to have me sign up for a new account once I got a new compute

Hey @lorraine131, welcome to our community! 

It sounds like our app was pre-installed on your new computer, which is normal. For new users, this is when you can create a new free Dropbox account. For existing users like yourself, you can sign in with your existing Dropbox credentials (email and password), and link your new computer to the Dropbox you already have. 

So, what I suggest you do now, is: 
  • go to your account settings and unlink your new computer by clicking on the X to the right of the computer’s name (you’ll have to scroll to the bottom of your Security page here) 
    • this will sever the link between your computer and your newly-created Dropbox account
  • now when you click on the Dropbox icon on your computer to start it, you’ll be asked to sign in
  • sign in with your old (original) email and password, from your upgraded account
That should do it! Keep in mind that it will take some time for you files to sync to your computer. You can check the syncing progress by clicking on the small Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar (by the time). 

I hope this helps. Let me know.
Thanks slightly smiling face

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face