Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Delete Email. Replace with another one.

Level 2

I tried changing my email address because I'm eliminating an alias. Read the FAQs. Deleted my plus account. Tried logging in with the password and alternate email address. Still telling me that address is taken. I have Dropbox on my phone . a laptop and my main machine. If I can't get this settled, I'll have to drop Dropbox. I just signed up for a plus account for a year.

1 Reply

Re: Delete Email. Replace with another one.

Dropboxer

Hey there @komack - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

From what I understand you're trying to change the email address on your Dropbox account but you're unable to as you're getting a message saying that it's already being used - correct me if I'm wrong please. 

In this case, as the message suggests, it looks like there's already a Dropbox account associated with that email address. 

Now, as both of your email addresses are associated with a Dropbox account at this moment, to switch the email addresses linked to your (upgraded) account, you will need to use a third email as a placeholder. 

In this example, we’ll call the email address linked to your first account "Email A". The email linked to your second account will be called "Email B". The third placeholder email address you'll need to use to swap Email A and Email B will be called “Email C”.

Please follow these instructions to switch the email addresses linked to your account:

A. On your first account, please change Email A to Email C. This will release Email A. (You can change your email on the Dropbox website at:  https://www.dropbox.com

B. Click your name in the top right corner, and choose Settings from the menu. To change your email the Account settings tab, or go to the following page:

https://www.dropbox.com/account  

C. Log out of your first account, and log in to your second account. Once you have logged into your second account, please change your email address to Email A (the one you releases on the previous step). This will release Email B.  

D. Log out of your second account and log back in to your first account. You can then change the email on your first account from the placeholder Email C to Email B. 

You only need to make these changes once. Any changes you make automatically apply to any computers or mobile devices linked to your account (traceable under your account's Security tab). 

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress.

PS: If you don't remember the password for either of your accounts, or you need to reset it, you can visit our website here: https://www.dropbox.com/forgot

Spoiler

Please enter the email address associated with your Dropbox account. You'll then receive an email from no-reply@dropbox.com with the steps to reset your password.

If you don't receive an email after a reasonable amount of time, please check your spam folder to ensure that no-reply@dropbox.com is not blocked. You can also add no-reply@dropbox.com to your address book and request another password reset email.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Delete Email. Replace with another one.
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post