cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted Files won't stay deleted

Deleted Files won't stay deleted

finsnlinit
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a folder that I delete but keeps coming back. I delete it and then try to permanently delete it. When I do that, I get an error that the files can't be permanently deleted because they are still active. 

This is a huge issue because that folder keeps putting me over my limit. This folder was not meant to stay on my account for long. I just need it to go away. 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

If a file or folder returns when you delete it, it's because it was unable to be deleted on one of your connected devices.

You delete a file on computer A. Dropbox is informed that it has been deleted and syncs that change to your account. Dropbox on your other devices is notified that the file has been deleted, so they also remove the file. On computer B, Dropbox is unable to remove that file for whatever reason (permission, locked, read-only, etc.). The result is that the file remains in place. Dropbox sees the file is still there, thinks it's been added and uploads it back to your account. All your other devices are notified of the "new" file and they sync it back down.

So the problem is likely that the file or folder in question on one of your devices is unable to be deleted. Figure out which (use Previous Versions to see which computer is adding it back) and fix what is holding it there, and you should be able to delete it.

View solution in original post

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @SaraAmies, welcome to our community! 

Can you tell me where/how you’re deleting your files? Let me know and we’ll go from there. 

Thanks! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

If a file or folder returns when you delete it, it's because it was unable to be deleted on one of your connected devices.

You delete a file on computer A. Dropbox is informed that it has been deleted and syncs that change to your account. Dropbox on your other devices is notified that the file has been deleted, so they also remove the file. On computer B, Dropbox is unable to remove that file for whatever reason (permission, locked, read-only, etc.). The result is that the file remains in place. Dropbox sees the file is still there, thinks it's been added and uploads it back to your account. All your other devices are notified of the "new" file and they sync it back down.

So the problem is likely that the file or folder in question on one of your devices is unable to be deleted. Figure out which (use Previous Versions to see which computer is adding it back) and fix what is holding it there, and you should be able to delete it.

finsnlinit
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

OMG I didn't think about that. You just made my life SO much easier. THANK YOU...THANK YOU!! 

pkiula
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same issue. Instead of creating a new thread, I'll ask here. Why is the deletion process so knuckle-headed in Dropbox? Folders aren't getting deleted, even after I go in and "delete permanently". They keep showing in the listing of files while Drobox shows the nag-message at the top about upgrading. Photos cannot be deleted either, there's no way to mass-delete them. What a stupid, stupid, stupid. I'd just like to delete everything and have a clean account in case someone needs to share a folder/file with me and is still using this archaic solution. Please help -- how should I delete mu files, folders, everything shared, all photos, etc. (This is a 1 second process in Google Drive.) 

PS: I don't have dropbox on any device anymore. Only in browser. 

Thank you! 

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @pkiula, welcome to our forum!

I understand that you don’t have our Dropbox app installed on any computer, but this is currently the best way of mass-deleting content. I also understand your frustration with doing this online, and I am sending your comments over to our team for review. 

Thanks

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access the survey here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Thank you!

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

SaraAmies
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I do not have any other devices, but the files do not stay deleted.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @SaraAmies, welcome to our community! 

Can you tell me where/how you’re deleting your files? Let me know and we’ll go from there. 

Thanks! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

RoseCarol
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That is my same issue. I dont have it installed anywhere else. Only use it from the browser, and it still wont let me permanetly delete them. I should not have to wait 30 days or 1 year for a file to be deleted. I pay for my account and If i am sure I want to delete a file then please delete them. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

frus New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Ggggg1 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?