cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to permanently delete multiple files/folders?

Is it possible to permanently delete multiple files/folders?

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Is there presently a way to permanently delete a whole lot of files & folders at once? I have seen instructions that refer to clicking a trash can in order to do so; but I don't see a trash can. I can see a way to delete files one at a time, but I have hundreds to permanently delete. Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

If I move (cut & paste) files to another folder outside Dropbox, rather than "delete" them, would that be any different, in regard to someone being able to restore them?

View solution in original post

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
No, it wouldn't be any different. No one but you can restore files in your account. If that's your concern, I think you're worrying over nothing.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You can delete files en masse by selecting groups of them first and then clicking on Delete. They will be deleted from your account but not permanently deleted. You can then permanently delete them from the Deleted Files page (formerly a trash can icon). There is no way to permanetly delete files in a single action.

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Thanks Rich. However, after deleting, when I go to the Deleted Files page, if I click on one file or folder in order to begin selecting all of them, I immediately get a pop-up window asking me if I want to delete it or restore that one file or folder. I can't seem to select a bunch of files & folders at once to make permanently deleted. Is there a way to do that?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
No, not from the Deleted Files page.

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

So there is no way to make a whole bunch of deletions permanent all at once, without doing each one separately?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
No.

Tom V
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

If I move (cut & paste) files to another folder outside Dropbox, rather than "delete" them, would that be any different, in regard to someone being able to restore them?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
No, it wouldn't be any different. No one but you can restore files in your account. If that's your concern, I think you're worrying over nothing.

sean1wren
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is there any saine logic behind not being able to delete multiple files permanently en mass without having to put a tick in the box of each of the files you want to pemanently delete ? In my view that is just plane dumb, 

JOOYOUNG C.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That seems like a weird way to scare people into keeping more crap on their dropbox than they need, we should be able to opt out of that if we want. I've backedup certain files and I want them OFF dropbox, and getting a warning everytime I delete something is tedious, a waste of time, and honestly feels a little sleazy-- that you don't just let us empty our trash bins.

The more one hoardes onto your digital cloud, the harder it is to get it off but people can't stop paying for it because they don't want to lose precious files or what might be precious files. Honestly, the storage system interace seems to make it hard to get rid of things and you can't even show us how many mgs of data are in a folder, that seems pretty sketchy if you ask me.  I was trying to cut down on how much stuff I had on Dropbox and I realized I had to click on teach folder just to find out what was inside.  This is a complete waste of my time and I am looking forward to getting off your paid subscription. For some reason this feels more like quitting smoking or a drug than it should, you make it much harder than it should be for sensible file management, and you encourage unhealthy digital hoarding habits.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Baz2 New member | Level 2
    Orangitang New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    dawnbowles New member | Level 2
    JOOYOUNG C. New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?