cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Differences between saving my Dropbox files online vs. saving them on my desktop/laptop.

Level 2

From reading the instructions I am not clear on dropbox operations.  I have a dropbox file folder on my computer.  There is also the online account.  

After I upload my files to the online site they are obviously stored there.  My question comes in when I work on a file, do I need to download it from my files on the websight and then re-upload?  What if I select it from the dropbox file folder on my computer and then work on it/save it, does dropbox automatically sync and save the new version on line, so my colleges can also see the latest version?

3 Replies

Re: Differences between saving my Dropbox files online vs. saving them on my desktop/laptop.

Dropboxer
Hey there (@TM2017), let me clarify matters a bit for you below & please do let me know here in case you may have any additional inquiries after you have a look at my pointers!

For starters, let me briefly explain the Dropbox client usage (i.e. the Dropbox desktop), which is just like using any other folder on your hard drive dividers. The files you store there are taking up your device’s hard disc space, as they’re physically stored on your pc. From there, the content you store locally is also syncing Arrows Counter Clock/ White check mark online computer ➡️🕸️ (& across your devices), so that you have it available while you're on the go 🕸️➡️ iphone!

Provided that you’ve installed our desktop application correctly & it’s syncing your files as expected, then you can edit your files locally as you’d normally do & use the Save As... floppy disk menu option in most applications to save your latest updates. Once synced to your account online, all your changes should be reflected under your Recents field on your Homepage, which shows you all the files you’ve worked with recently, like docs you’ve added, edited, or moved.

I hope that my tips above help you feel a bit more familiar with the Dropbox sync & I’m always here to discuss any additional inquiries you may have in more detail. Happy Friday! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Differences between saving my Dropbox files online vs. saving them on my desktop/laptop.

Level 4

Hi Jane, I have a similar problem yet more complex as a few computers are involved. Three are now unlinked from the dropbox and are acting only as desktop folders. no new info has been uploaded to the other computers for two days (just seeing this today 12-1-1smiling face with sunglasses. the DB icon on upper computer dock has disapeared on the problem computers. 

What should we do to get drop box working well again ? Thanks very much fior any help

Dropboxer
Hey there (@acstudio), as you’ve mentioned that multiple devices are affected, let me have a closer look on your account details through our Official Support channel. So as to look into the matter having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email on my end. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks for reaching out on our Community & I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Differences between saving my Dropbox files online vs. saving them on my desktop/laptop.
3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post