cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discontinuing rendering of HTML content

Discontinuing rendering of HTML content

Perry P.
New member | Level 2

Got email notice from dropbox that they are discontinuing HTML rendering.  This is going to cause major issues for my wife since she uses this to distribute info and files to her students.  We are running a basic account and would be willing to upgrade to a paid account to retain this feature, but this policy seems to be across all account levels.

Any advice on alternatives?

54 Replies 54

David R.16
New member | Level 1

I am in exactly the same boat. Trying to find an alternative now. Exams coming up soon too 😞

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Use a proper web host - Amazon AWS, Azure, Dreamhost, Discount Hosting etc etc etc.

R K
New member | Level 1

The notice I got says that this change will be effective a year from now: "Please note that this change will take effect for your account on September 1, 2017".

By the way, what is the reason for this change? Security concerns?

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Basic users will see this feature discontinued in October this year, while Pro and Business users have more of a grace period, September 2017.

The change was made because the feature was being abused (malware etc) significantly more than it was being legitimately used.

Perry P.
New member | Level 2

I am a basic user so it is one month notice.  While moving to a dedicated web host is an option, it is not as easily to implement for a novice user as Dropbox is/was.  While I understand there could be abuses, making this part of a paid tier makes more sense to me than just discontinuing it.  I am sure I am not the only one who took advantage of this feature.

I rather pay for Dropbox (upgraded service) and retain the simple benefits of publishing to a shared folder than paying for a web host that requires either ftp or web based file uploads.  

R K
New member | Level 1

Richard P.:

Your response indicates that Dropbox is able to determine who is using this feature for malware and who is not. If that is true, why not issue a warning to bad actors and then disable it for those that don't comply and let legitimate users continue to use this feature? You're changing an important feature that has been very helpful to many legitimate users.

Mark
Super User II

why not issue a warning to bad actors and then disable it for those that don't comply and let legitimate users continue to use this feature

Because people can set up infinite accounts in seconds - quicker than they can be removed.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

R K
New member | Level 1

By this do you mean that they can set up infinite Dropbox free accounts? If so, why not keep this feature for paid Dropbox accounts?

Mark
Super User II

Nobody here can answer that I'm afraid Rich - we are all users like you

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    ChrisPy New member | Level 2
    Jigs G. Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?