Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Do not receive password email

Level 3

Do the following steps still work?  I'm not receiving the password reset email to my inbox.  I still have access via desktop and mobile app.

If you can’t sign in to your account, and you don’t have access to your email address, you can reset your password by following these instructions:

1. Try to sign in to dropbox.com or the Dropbox app with your expired password.
  2. If you can’t log in, click I can’t recover my account using this page at the bottom. 
  3. Click Yes.
  4. Click Send notifications. This sends notifications to all your linked devices.
  5. When you see the notification on your linked device, click Details.
  6. Click Continue (web) or Yes (mobile).
  7. Enter your a new email address.
  8. Click Submit

You’ll receive a password reset link in your new email’s inbox. Click Reset password. Then, enter your new password and click Submit.

After you reset your password, your Dropbox account email will be switched to your new email.

3 Replies

Re: Do not receive password email

Dropboxer

Hello there @yatesda1  - sorry to hear about this and thanks for your patience.

I know it can be frustrating to be locked out of your account so let's take a look now!

Just for your information now, note that there are four of possible reasons you’re not receiving the password reset email. We’ll need to check each of them to find the problem:

1. The email is caught in a spam folder: 

When you request a password reset, the email comes from no-reply@dropbox.com. If you don't receive this email, it’s possible that address is blocked. Check to see if the email arrived in your junk/spam folder. If it didn’t, add no-reply@dropbox.com to your address book and then try the reset again.

2. The email is going to a different email address:

It’s fairly common to use one address as your primary email account, and then have used a second, different address with Dropbox. It may be that the password reset email isn’t going through because you used a different address with Dropbox.

3. The email address was misspelled:

If you’re not receiving the email, check the spelling on the address you use for Dropbox, and try the reset again. Misspellings are one of the most common reasons for unreceived emails.

4. The email is delayed:

Occasionally, email providers can have a delay in their service. Give the reset email a few hours—it may still arrive, just not right away.If you’ve tried each of these, but you’re still not receiving the password reset, there is still something you can do to get your files.

If you’re still signed in to Dropbox on another device (a computer, phone, tablet, or dropbox.com), you may be able to open Dropbox on that device. If you can, try saving copies of your files to that device.

You can find more info and tools for password resets in this Help Center article: 

https://help.dropbox.com/sign-in/password-reset

I hope this helped to some extend and please keep me posted on your progress. 

PS: For account specific inquiries you can always contact our Support team from  the page below: 

https://www.dropbox.com/support

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Thanks for you response!  I have commented on each resolution below.

1. The email is caught in a spam folder: 

I have added no-reply@dropbox.com to my safe list and address book.  Now, if I attempt to request to reset the password, I receive the prompt, "Too many incorrect attempts.  Please try again in a few minutes".  Even after multiple hours, I still receive this prompt.

2. The email is going to a different email address:

I using the email address that shows in my account information.  I also attempted the request with other email address, and I still do not receive the email.

3. The email address was misspelled:

I retype the address each time I make a request.

4. The email is delayed:

I waited a period of 8 hours, but due to the issue stated above, I'm not longer able to make request.

As a percaution, I have already copied my files to an external drive in case I need to forfeit this account.  This is disspointing because through referrals, I have accumulated over 18 GB of space over a period of +5 years. 

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info @yatesda1!

I just reached out via email to your Dropbox associated address so we can have a further look into this with all of our tools available. Take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Happy Monday!

PS: For future references, for account specific inquiries like this one, the best possible route to follow (for the quickest resolution that is) would be through our Official Channels via the following page: 

https://www.dropbox.com/support

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Do not receive password email
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post