Top kudoed members this week! See now

Dropbox Won't Stop Charging Credit Card

SOLVED
64 Comments
18 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1

Dropbox Won't Stop Charging Credit Card

My credit card keeps getting charged $9.99 every month and I can't get in contact with anyone at Dropbox to stop the charges. I have called my credit card company every month to eliminate the charge. I have e-mailed Dropbox on a number of occassions for help by nothing! What is wrong with these online technology companies having no customer support. Apple is just as bad. At least the credit card companies give you a phone number that runs you around in circles....

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Super User II

Re: Dropbox Won't Stop Charging Credit Card

Did you not just downgrade your account at www.dropbox.com/plans ? That will instantly stop the charge.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

64 Replies
Solution
Super User II

Did you not just downgrade your account at www.dropbox.com/plans ? That will instantly stop the charge.

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 1

Thanks for the quick response. This charge is not associated with my account. When I look up my account history, it shows my single annual payment, not a $9.99 monthly payment. Why can't I get anyone on the phone at Dropbox????

Super User II

Dropbox doesnt have phone support.

If it isnt associated with your account why haven't you just filed a fraud report with your card company? Thats what I'd be doing if somebody was using my card without my permission.

Level 1

Thanks for the response. I have contacted my credit card company to have the charges refunded, but if you submit a fraud report they will shut down the credit card. If the credit card is shut down, I would have to contact all the companies that use that card for auto monthly payments (water, electricity, cable, etc.) and have them update the credit card # which would take a substantial amount of time / effort all because Dropbox won't stop making the charges and has no easy way of having the charges stopped.

Dropboxer

Hi Brock, if you contact support by visiting https://www.dropbox.com/support and provide your card details, our payments team can investigate this for you.

Level 1

Thanks for the response Holly. I have submitted several requests over the last 3 months with "no" response other than our team will look into the issue. I have submitted a complaint to our credit card company who will contact the bank handling the charges for Dropbox and the contracted the FTC that Dropbox has no meaningful process of stopping automatic credit charges. Please have someone from Dropbox that can immediately locate the account by the credit card number that is being charged and stop it.

Super User II

Unfortunately Brock if somebody had access to my card details and had signed up for a service using the card I would be cancelling it - what happens if they start using it in a shop?

Also, not sure where you are, but here in the UK they wouldn't cover you for any fraud if you knew the card was being used by somebody else

Level 1

Good idea Marc. I have had these charges appear for over 12 months now with the $9.99 charges and no other unauthorized charges. I am going to assume that it isn't someone stealing my credit card number to open an account on Dropbox, as I can imagine there are plenty of options a thief would consider before opening a dropbox account, but rather a Dropbox screw up when modifying, transferring, or whatever they did my account. That being said, it still doesn't resolve the underlying issue that I can't seem to get anyone on the phone from Dropbox or, when I submit their stop charge form, there is no action.

Super User II

As I dont work for them I cant help, sorry, but have you seen http://dropbox.zendesk.com to see updates on tickets - hopefully you'll get something back soon.