Known issues - updated July 19th see more

Email messages have wrong name in message header

SOLVED
Go to solution
15 Comments
1 Kudo
Level 5

Email messages have wrong name in message header

When I receive email messages from dropbox, my name is not in the message header. Instead, the header has my daughter's name in it. How do I change that? My name is on the account.

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Level 5

Re: Email messages have wrong name in message header

I just discovered the problem, and it has nothing to do with dropbox.com at all. I just downloaded the dropbox app to my phone and logged in that way. That generated a message from dropbox, but when I looked at the message using firefox, it did not have the wrong name in it in the header. The problem has been that my thunderbird address book label for the dropbox reply address has the wrong name in it. Once I corrected that address book label, the reply in thunderbird looks like it should. Sorry for all the confusion my problem has generated :(, and thanks for all the help. Dropbox.com is ok and so is my account.

15 Replies
Super User II

Make sure the correct information is at www.dropbox.com/account - thats where its all taken from

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 5

As I mentioned in my original post, my name is already on the account, which is why I don't understand why another name is used in the email message header. I just checked and confirmed my name on the account, and not the other name.

Super User II

So at www.dropbox.com/account you see your name and not your daughters?

When you get emails, what sort of emails are the rbhall? Are they automated ones like 'join a new share' or from other people?

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 5

The email was an automated response to a new sign in to dropbox. In this case, it happened because I rebuilt my laptop computer and reinstalled dropbox on the laptop. The message subject was "We noticed a new sign in to your Dropbox", and the from was "Marianne via Dropbox <no-reply@dropbox.com>".

I have received a message from dropbox before from "Marianne via Dropbox".

Super User II

If it is a one off I'd ignore it - could be gremlins in the system somewhere,

If it happens again however I'd suggest logging a ticket at www.dropbox.com/support which you can then track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

Level 5

If it happens again, I will do what you suggest. Is there a way to get the system to produce a similar message as a test?

Super User II

You could try logging in again via a web page using incognito mode?

Dropboxer

Keep us posted with any updates!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

I tried logging in with a new private window in firefox, but that did not cause any messages. I'm not sure what else to do but wait. I may try another browser to see what happens.

Still stuck? Contact Support directly, or ask a question on the community.
Still stuck?
Top Contributors
Rich 4933
Mark 3902
Jane 1121
Greg K. 830
Tom_M 886