cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File count and folder size?

File count and folder size?

Jimmy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, i cant find the folder size and file count info for my folders online. Where can i see that? Should it not be visible in the folder tree on the login page?

I have to make a quick comparison between the files and folder on my PC and online to check if all files are uploaded or not.

BR Jimmy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

wrote:

It's totally ridiculous that it's impossible to view the simple number of files in a folder, much the less total size of the files in that folder.

You mean like this:

8afa18b7028377d81fa9a09c6d7dbd9b.png

And this:

5309938667f2fe68558b7101064e16e9.png

Just select all files in a folder and you'll get the total number of items selected. For folder size, change one of the column headers to Size, select the folder, then click Calculate size from the menu on the right.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I'm afraid such information is not available online Jimmy 😞

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Jimmy

It appears that you are asking about checking a folder's size online, which is answered here: 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/8785

Hope that this helps! If I have misunderstood, can you please let me know?

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

wishfuluser
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Two points on this thread:

1. The link only addresses file size. Re folder size it just says it is not available to users. WHY it is not availble to users I cannot imagine. This is obviously an essential feature!

2. The link is out of date. File size used to be available as described there, but now it is not. So now file size is also withheld—proof Dropbox is doing this on purpose.

WHY would Dropbox withhold this? To dupe users into overpurchasing? This is terrible user treatment. Shame on you, Dropbox.

mamomi
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is outrageous. File count and folder and file size are the most basic of information. I wonder if Google Drive offers this.

Rob_Cash
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Things have changed in the 10 months since that post was originally made... you can now navigate to:

https://www.dropbox.com/account/plan

About midway down the page you should see the amount of space available in your Dropbox and the amount of space your files are using (both regular and shared files)   It doesn't show a tally of the number of files though 😞   

Generally we suggest that associating the account with a desktop client will provide a much more granular experience for this, such as the Windows client, where you can see the entire Dropbox folder as, in general, a drive/folder itself, and get the exact file count. 

Hope the info about space being used is helpful!

-Rob

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

mamomi wrote:

This is outrageous. File count and folder and file size are the most basic of information. I wonder if Google Drive offers this.

Folder size is now available on the Dropbox website.

mamomi
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you, Rich, for this information. It was certainly not an intuitive find on the site, and it appears to be a partial solution at best. I followed the instructions and attempted to get the size information for several folders. Two smallish ones calculated size quickly. One larger one (58 Gb) took three minutes. Two more, one which shouldn't be very big at all and another which should be larger, are still calculating after over an hour. 

mamomi
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you for your reply, Rob, but it doesn't address my question. I know how to find the total space I'm using on Dropbox. I want to know the size of each folder. This information is of great value to me, especially when I'm looking at folders I have selectively chosen NOT to sync to my computer as a space-saving mechanism. That's one of the advantages of Dropbox, is it not? It's a mystery to me why this information should be difficult to provide, and I'm unhappy about not having it. Good grief, of course I know how to find the file or folder size when those items are on my computer!

gtc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's totally ridiculous that it's impossible to view the simple number of files in a folder, much the less total size of the files in that folder. I'm losing dropbox space that is an expiring promotion and I'm trying to compare the files I have backed up to what is in Dropbox before I delete them - and I can't even do a count.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    Dominick R.2 Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    gtc New member | Level 2
    mamomi Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?