cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Grandfathered Device (above the 3 limit)

Level 3

My MacMini with version 73.3.94 : IP addesss xx.yyy.zzz.uuu OS Mac OS X 10.13.6 was last synched 16 hours ago. Today, Dropbox asked me to sign in again and does not recognize my grandfathered device . It is considering my Mac user ID as a new one and is asking me to drop other devices.

I am still using the same device.

How can I restore my older preferences or Dropbox ID?

I do not mind deleting one device but do not want to be downgraded to 3 only.

Tags (1)
6 Replies

Re: Grandfathered Device (above the 3 limit)

Dropboxer
Hey @alainfarhi, it would be worth noting that we usually advise running our latest (72.4.136) Stable Build to ensure stability, however if your device has already been unlinked & relinked, then this is perceived by Dropbox as a new device. I understand that this may not be ideal to you, however kindly bear in mind that if your device has already been unlinked, this can’t be reversed on our end. 

Hopefully this helps you clarify your options moving forward & I remain at your entire disposal if you have any additional questions. Thanks for checking in with us on the Community!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Jane,

Thanks for your quick reply. I downloaded the new version.

I did not relink my MacMini as I have many devices already linked to my 24GB account. Your DropBox server are still waiting for me to relink (which Idid not do) .

I just lost the preferences files in my Mac and User libraries. Please advise how to link it properly at my end.

Super User II

@alainfarhi wrote:

I just lost the preferences files in my Mac and User libraries. Please advise how to link it properly at my end.

You'll likely won't be able to. Any attempt to relink it using the Dropbox app will see it as a new device, and since you're already over your limit of three, you would need to unlink other devices before you can relink this one.

Restoring (from your own backups) whatever preference files were lost might restore the link, but I have my doubts about that.

Level 3

If I unlink a device when signing in with my Main desktop, will I stay at my current grandfathered number or will I be automatically restricted to only 3.

As a former software developper, I can only say that your new system should have recognized my Mac number and not considered it as a new device. It is the sam hardware and user.

Dropboxer
Thanks for circling back to us here @alainfarhi. Following your last inquiry, let me quickly point you back to Rich’s post above, as his advice is spot on. In other words, you will not be able to bypass the three-device limit while on a Basic account moving forward Alain. I hope this makes matters a bit clearer!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

I will stay with my Basic plan with a 24GB allowance and many devices (more than 3).

I only have one small set of files that must use Dropbox and I can easily upload them through a browser. I will just not use my main MacMini to sync my folders to the others device.  A small hassle that is not unsurmomtable.

There are other cloud operators that offer cheaper and more flexible for small users.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Grandfathered Device (above the 3 limit)
6 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post