cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Submit your story to win a $25 Amazon gift card and a Dropbox hoodie! Ends Nov. 16
Known issues updated Learn more
6 Comments
4 Likes
Level 2

How can I logout of the Dropbox website?

There seems to be no logout button when you have logged in to the web version of dropbox - there must be a way to logout, what is it? Surely we are not expected to stay logged in all the time. 

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II

Re: Logout of Website

Click your account's avatar/icon in the top-right corner of the page (the default icon is a smiley face) and select Sign Out.
6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User II

Click your account's avatar/icon in the top-right corner of the page (the default icon is a smiley face) and select Sign Out.
Level 2

Doh! Who would have guessed that clicking on a smiley face would give you the option to sign out. Intuitive it is not, but probably obvious once you know. Seems like pretty poor design from the point of view of a new user - why not just have a text link or button saying "Sign Out" I wonder.

Anyway thanks, now I can safely let someone else use this computer...

Cheers.

Level 5

Yeah dropbox appears to be a bit of a security nightmare.

Logout button should be upfront.

Session should auto logout after some time of inactivity.

It is too easy to walk away from our chared group lab computers while still logged into Dropbox.

Guess where my personnel notes are?

Super User II

@jaresing wrote:

Logout button should be upfront.

Nearly every application I use has the sign out function below an avatar or username, which also provides options for settings, etc. This seems to be the new norm with move developers, including big ones like Microsoft, Adobe, etc.

Session should auto logout after some time of inactivity.

Unless you tell it to remember you at sign in, which it defaults to (that part I don't agree with), Dropbox will sign you out when you close your browser. I don't know of any cloud storage that automatically signs you out after a set time. I've only seen that with sites like banks/finance, digital signature (DocuSign), health and security type sites. Your average website usually doesn't do that.

It is too easy to walk away from our chared group lab computers while still logged into Dropbox.

This I have to say is entirely on you. If you're knowingly using a public/shared comptuer and accessing any application or site with your own account, it's on you to make sure you're signed out before walking away. On a shared computer, you should be using your own computer account and locking it or signing out before walking away. Shared computers accounts are a security nightmare.

Level 4

thank you
Level 5

Honestly, this was a sad answer.

1. everyone else is doing it and thus so are we. Ouch.
  2. "Your average website usually doesn't do that." I guess dropbox is just average?  Wow how corporately damning. Sounds like there is really no reason for me to choose dropbox over other cloud services? I guess I thought you guys might have been better.
  3. "This I have to say is entirely on you. " SO, am I supposed to store secure information on dropbox or is it just your average, low security, run of the mill storage facility?  If so, it would be important for me to move on. It must be time to do some research.

Thanks for replying, I give you that much credit.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Managing your account.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.