cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

Help us improve our online support experience by taking our short survey!

yes

Highlighted

How to reduce my file quota when they're all in shared folders

Level 2

Hi, I have never created or uploaded any files or folders, so why does Dropbox says my account is full?

Dropbox says I've exceeded my storage, saying "2.9GB used of 2.5GB allowed" but I have no personal files stored in Dropbox. All the folders that show under "My Files" are shared folders which were created by other people, who invited me to join the folders as a member.

I presume I cannot delete any of these shared files or folders as other folder members will then be unable to see them. I'm also concerned that if I delete these folders from "My Files", they will also be deleted for the other people. 

So I'm a bit stuck.

8 Replies

Re: How to reduce my file quota when they're all in shared folders

Super User II

I'm afraid that Shared Folders use your quota and you are right. If you delete from your files you delete for everybody else as well. 

The options you have are:

1. Gain more free space
  2. Leave some of the shares
  3. Upgrade your account

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

Thanks for that explanation, Mark, although it seems unreasonable for Dropbox to decide that files stored in one user's folder count as also using up space for everyone else who can see that folder. This isn't how the real world works so I presume it's just another money-making scheme by Dropbox!

Anyway, please can you advise how I can leave some of the shared folders? I can't see any obvious way of doing this.

I don't ask other people to create Dropbox folders, they just do it and expect me to magically be able to see them. However, if Dropbox now want to charge me to view, I guess I will just have to ask everyone else to stop using Dropbox. Ho hum.

Level 3

Hello Bewley,

you can delete the folders any time using the browser version. That way it will stay available for other users. If you need the folders later you can simply re-add them by clicking on files->sharing and add the desired folder.

That should be applicable for your situation.

Level 2

Dear Chraine,

Mark previously said that if I delete the folders then they will be deleted for all other users too. But you're saying I can delete the folders and they won't be deleted for all other users. You are contradicting each other. 

One of you must be wrong. How do I know which of you to believe?

Also, I don't see how I can re-add folders later via files->sharing when those folders don't appear in file->sharing. I'm afraid this makes me sceptical of your suggestion, as it doesn't seem likely I would be able to re-add anything later. 

Level 3

Hello Bewley,

The folders that are currently in my files do not appear in file->sharing. It will only appear when you deleted the folder.

Also if you want to delete the folder a confirmation dialog will appear which says it will stay available for other users.

I suggest you try it yourself with some empty or unimportant folder.

I also added some pictures here.

Level 2

Dear Chraine,

Thank you very much for explaining this. Sadly I now think one of the shared folders is itself bigger than my storage limit. Therefore I cannot delete it as Dropbox will never allow me to add it again, because of its size. I presume I must leave this folder in My Files in order to maintain access to it.

So I'm still stuck over my storage limit despite having stored nothing myself, and now the situation looks permanently unsolveable! I wish my friends and colleagues had never started using Dropbox. Ho hum, again. 

Super User II

@Chraine - that is possible IF the other person has allowed you to do that AND you have enough quota to do so. 

@Bewley If is not unreasonble to be set up like this - after all every time you connect to Dropbox, send files, use data etc. you cost them money. You can leave shares by following this article. And yes, it is to make Dropbox money if we are honest as ultimately if they DONT make money then the service you are using for free wont be around. 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

Thanks again, Mark. I'm afraid I must disagree a bit as it is clearly unreasonable for one file to use the storage quota for every user who can see it. I'm not storing it so how can it possibly use my storage quota? 

It's simply untrue for Dropbox to claim that I am using storage myself when I have stored nothing. The file is stored in one place, whether one user can see it or a hundred users, so to claim that it uses up equal storage for each new shared user who can access it is unreasonable.

Accessing a file is a completely different process from storing it.

Of course I appreciate that it costs money to run the site, but there are other more honest ways that this could be done. 

So Dropbox have decided that I can no longer use their site simply because other people have added some files to a shared folder. That's fine, I won't use Dropbox any more and I'm sure they won't miss me.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

How to reduce my file quota when they're all in shared folders
More about this post
8 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See answer
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post