Known issues - updated Aug 14th see more

I need MY dropbox back!

SOLVED
Go to solution
3 Comments
3 Kudos
Level 2

I need MY dropbox back!

So... someone added me to a Dropbox Business Team when I was working on a project.   Great, right?   But they added me from the email address where I already used my personal dropbox account.   Now my personal account is gone?  Can I get back in?  Personal contacts have recently tried to share a folder with me but I can't get into it because the team's storage is full!   

I just want MY Dropbox I've used for years back... without leaving the team preferably!   HELP!

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Super User II

Re: I need MY dropbox back!

wrote:

But they added me from the email address where I already used my personal dropbox account.   Now my personal account is gone?

Basically, yes.

If you joined a Dropbox for Business team using an existing account, that account is merged into the team and essentially becomes the property of the business. The account is theirs now. If you had a paid subscription, any remaining time on your account would have been refunded back to you. If they remove you from the team, the account is deleted (including anything in it!), so don't ask them to remove you just yet. For this reason, it's always suggested that you join a Team using a separate account, creating a new one if necessary solely for the purpose of joining the team.

Can I get back in?

The Team Admin should have an option within their Admin Console to convert your account back to a personal account. If they're unable to locate it, they can contact Dropbox Support for assistance. This, of course, will result in you leaving the team, but you could ask the Team Admin to re-invite you using a new Dropbox account instead.

3 Replies
Highlighted
Solution
Super User II

wrote:

But they added me from the email address where I already used my personal dropbox account.   Now my personal account is gone?

Basically, yes.

If you joined a Dropbox for Business team using an existing account, that account is merged into the team and essentially becomes the property of the business. The account is theirs now. If you had a paid subscription, any remaining time on your account would have been refunded back to you. If they remove you from the team, the account is deleted (including anything in it!), so don't ask them to remove you just yet. For this reason, it's always suggested that you join a Team using a separate account, creating a new one if necessary solely for the purpose of joining the team.

Can I get back in?

The Team Admin should have an option within their Admin Console to convert your account back to a personal account. If they're unable to locate it, they can contact Dropbox Support for assistance. This, of course, will result in you leaving the team, but you could ask the Team Admin to re-invite you using a new Dropbox account instead.

Level 2

The 'team' was someone I needed to upload a large number of files for to complete a project.   After that was done...  I had to threaten a lawsuit in order to actually get paid, three months late.  He's now acting out of bitterness and spite and refuses to let me leave the team.   When I contacted Dropbox support, they just contacted HIM and he once again 'declined' to let me out of the team.   

Even if I can't recover my old files, I need MY EMAIL ADDRESS which I've used for work for a decade to go to MY DROPBOX.  Old clients and friends try to share things with me and I can't access them.

At this point, I'll never choose to use Dropbox again, but this policy makes it an inconvenience for all of my contacts too?   Absurd.

Dropboxer

I understand that this may be confusing to you at this point, though I can try to break the issue down to smaller batches below, so as to work on each bit separately! 

As Rich already explained above, let me reiterate that, when you’ve accepted the invite to the team with the email address connected to your previous (i.e. personal) Dropbox account, you were given the option to keep the team account & the personal one separate (this would’ve enabled you to use your previous Dropbox account either for personal or professional use, even after joining the team):  
Because you probably selected the option to use your current email address in order to join the team, your files & email address is currently managed and owned by your admin

At this point, I’d second Rich’s advice, so your best bet would be to contact your admin directly. That way, s/ he can delete your account & disassociate it from the team, & you’ll be able to add & keep all shared files and folders you had access to before joining the team, any private files in your account & add any shared folders you may want from the start. 

Secondly, I could also review the previous correspondence with our team (& help as much as I can). Please include your ticket# in your next post here , so as to look it up internally & make sure to check back on the progress. 

Thanks in advance & I'm looking forward to hearing back from you here! 

[Edit: I was able to run a search on my end & I've made sure to check back with you offline (i.e. via email), so I've made sure to reply on your  ticket, I understand that you'd like to move forward on your request.

Please check your inbox for my latest message; I'm closing this thread, so as to focus on our email correspondence & work towards a fix. Thanks! ]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Still stuck? Contact Support directly, or ask a question on the community.
Still stuck?
Top Contributors
Rich 4359
Mark 3650
Jane 1190
Sanchez 975
Greg K. 885