cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Questions about Dropbox? The average community response time is 2 hours! Ask a question now
2 Comments
1 Like
Highlighted
Level 2

I've somehow transferred 'ownership' of my account to a friend after accepting a share request

Hi,

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I'm not even sure what terms to search for...

In short:

• A friend shared a business account folder with me
  • I received an email link to accept the request
  • I click the request and it tells me that I have to join a team. There are two options, both are very vaguely worded but I basically select the option that says 'I want to keep my account as an individual account and that I will sign up to the team using a different email address'
  • Somehow (maybe I selected the wrong option?) it turned out that I transferred ownership of the WRONG email address... All my files were moved over to the new email address / user, basically resulting in the exact opposite of what I thought was supposed to happen

My question is - how can I get ownership of my origional account BACK from this person?

Best,
Sam

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Super User II

Re: I've somehow transferred 'ownership' of my account to a friend after accepting a share request

You weren't invited to a shared folder. You were invited to join a business account. BIG difference. By joining a business account, your account is merged into the business and at that point it's no longer yours. If yours was a paid account, any remaining time on the account is refunded back to you. For this reason it's always suggested that you join a business account using a new account. In this case it seems you selected the option to join the team with your existing account.

The Team Admin for the Business account can remove you from the team, converting your account back to a Basic account in the process. See the following help article for more information.

The other option is to have the Team Admin contact Dropbox Support and request that your account be restored to its former status.

2 Replies
Super User II

Re: I've somehow transferred 'ownership' of my account to a friend after accepting a share request

You weren't invited to a shared folder. You were invited to join a business account. BIG difference. By joining a business account, your account is merged into the business and at that point it's no longer yours. If yours was a paid account, any remaining time on the account is refunded back to you. For this reason it's always suggested that you join a business account using a new account. In this case it seems you selected the option to join the team with your existing account.

The Team Admin for the Business account can remove you from the team, converting your account back to a Basic account in the process. See the following help article for more information.

The other option is to have the Team Admin contact Dropbox Support and request that your account be restored to its former status.

Level 2

Hi Rich,

Thanks for answering the question - that definitely sounds like the answer.

Thanks for your help!

Sam

Manage Account

Welcome! If you have a question about Dropbox, you’re in the right place

Post your question or search for an answer, the community is here to help

Not looking for support? Explore other features of Dropbox

Learn more about the community

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post
END WEBSITE FEEDBACK SNIPPET-->