Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues - updated Aug 14th see more

Ignore folder (without selective sync)

625 Comments
1,101 Kudos

Re: Ignore folder (without selective sync)

+1000

"Unsync this folder" as a context menu add-on is a no-brainer.

Leaving an Alias behind, greye out, would be a perfect reminder that it's still there.

Level 1

I was looking for a workaround and there are few, if you can limit yourself to linux or mac, but ultimately went with bittorrent sync ... http://peter.grman.at/ignore-node_modules-in-dropbox/

Level 2

+1000

Level 1

Re: Why won't Dropbox add a .gitignore like feature?

I also desperately would like this feature. It would save money to Dropbox as it would not have to continuously synchronize and keep unlimited backups of temporary files each time I do a compilation in Visual Studio for example.
I totally agree with you that it is very trivial to implement.

Of course we could do it ourselves IF there was any API to hack with, but there is none for the Windows Desktop client. And the CLI interface on Linux is very limited. Having to build an alternative desktop client (assuming it were possible without sacrificing a lot of other features) just for this feature would be ridiculous. Ideally Dropbox could release the client as open source so we could tinker with it.

I have lost all hope in this matter, considering how they shut down Votebox a while ago and have not implemented any new feature for a long time (not even fixing certain bugs).

Level 1

+1000000000

http://konolige.com/dbignore/ exists for Mac OSX. It's .gitignore for Dropbox, but the instructions are a bit advanced.

Anyone care to figure it out and write simple step-by-step HowTo?

Level 1

Re: Why won't Dropbox add a .gitignore like feature?

I would love to see this feature as well. Please Dropbox, please!

.dropboxignore

Wouldn't be great to have a .droppoxignore file that works as the .gitignore file?

Level 1

+1 for .dropboxignore

Level 1

+1

Still stuck? Contact Support directly, or ask a question on the community.
Still stuck?
Top Contributors
Rich 4350
Mark 3636
Jane 1184
Sanchez 974
Greg K. 885