Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Level 6

@Clonkex wrote:

@Steyrshrek wrote:

Remember that’s not my problem? The number of devices I connect really has no cost to you.  If you want to limit storage amounts that’s understandable. Your new business looks to just make the service useless as 3 devices isn’t all that many nowadays.  So I guess you just prefer we leave and use one of the other services that is more competing. Is that your answer?  You might want to work on your customer relations.

While I agree with your sentiments (I wrote my own rant post yesterday), you should realise the number of devices might have a cost for Dropbox. If you have four devices and upload a file, that uses 4x the size of the file as bandwidth. If you have 8 devices, it has to sync 8 times (whether up or down). Whether or not this has a cost to Dropbox depends on how they pay for their bandwidth use.

Actually, with LAN sync, it does not use their bandwidth as the files are merely syncing over your own network. Though, if you insist on bandwidth being the reason, dropbox can simply limit the daily bandwidth. They've been doing so with dropbox links all this time already.

Level 2
I liked dropbox‘ services. Then my company blocked dropbox, which is a major inconvenience. But at least they offer me a 1TB onedrive.

Now with the restriction I‘m saying good bye to dropbox. I worked my way up to 11GB by recommending it to friends and all those things. But I would be max willing to pay like 10$ per year or so.
I find it interesting how dropbox decided to change the course so hard from zeropay to heropay without giving people a product in the middle. You gotta give your customers a chance dropbox. Sorry!

Level 2

I wonder where they got the '3' from.  A couple with a laptop/tablet and a phone each is 4.  By making it three, Dropbox free is really only useful to single people winking face.  There is no way I can knock my wifes laptop off to put my new laptop on.  I will have to do the OneDrive thing (which is clunky and slow as it is not designed around sharing files, my laptop has 1Tb of onedrive, my wifes laptop has a *diferent* 1Tb of space, we have to share folders with each other and manage that to make it work like dropbox does)

Someone mentioned that Drobox has no other source of revenue.  That's too bad, but I don't feel they are going to survive this desperation cost cutting move.  They should have a big pets.com style concert and go out in style!

Level 5

This is disturbing. Evernote pulled this shennanigans 2 years ago due to failing economics. Apparently Dropbox has found itself clinging to the ropes before going down for the count.

My response here will be the same as for Evernote... I'm setting up my own cloud. No more life-sucking metadata from this user.

Poor decision which will alienate your base. $100 a year just to link an extra device?

ezgif-4-4b22b980f7a7.gif

Rubbish!

Level 4
Nothing major to add to the constructive discussion. Price is just too **bleep** high. I be have 15gb of free through various referring and this 3 device limit basically means I'll move to something else free or cheaper. Sorry DB. O also understand that you really don't care about me as a customer. I've used the service free for years so by me leaving I'm actually saving you money.

Level 2

Just an outsider looking in - if you've used dropbox happily FOR FREE since 2013 - do you really have a leg to stand on complaining about the limit restriction they put on so that they can push people to a paid tier and...continue offering their services by staying in business? Remeber, you getting everything you want for free isn't really free - it's only free to you. Dropbox is paying (and losing money) providing you the service which you clearly have no intention of ever buying. I can see the thought forming in your head now - O I would buy if it wasn't so expensive, I don't need the space just devices, give me a cheaper option - well sorry, if things are too expensive, you don't get them. I would buy a new phone if it wasn't so expensive - that leaves me with an old phone. I would buy a new car if it wasn't so expensive - again, that leaves me with an old car. You sound so entitled in your posts it is shocking. Quit complaining to dropbox to give you more free stuff and pony up the cash to buy what you want - or please, go elsewhere.

Level 2

I was unaware of this change in March. I just received an email from Dropbox telling me that I'm over my device limit. What!? No warning (unless it hit the spam filter) that this was going to happen and this is my first communication from Dropbox about it… I’m over limit! Maddening! The email gives no clue as to how many devices are permitted or even by logging into my account other than seeing I currently have 5 devices connected. Doing a few searches I found this thread and others stating that number is 3. So now I am very angry and thinking of leaving. First, I've recommended and sold numerous accounts based on my suggestions to businesses and clients for the past 8 years acting as a free to you sales agent and making no money doing so. I've had my account since 2010 and have preferred Drobox over Google Drive, OneDrive and others. This may change now due to this apparently horribly arbitrary decision. Sure, for new accounts institute this 3 device limit, but for grandfathered accounts, why mess with and potentially anger your user base to move away from Dropbox? I get that you need to make money (dot bomb proved that - free at any quantity doesn't make money!) but this screams of desperation. Even if it is getting crazy with some accounts (100+ devices I'm sure), how about a much larger limit number than 3; what that number is only you, the good folks at Dropbox can say. This move feels like you're trying you’re hardest to squeeze money out of the free accounts and it just plain reeks of greed and/or as company on the brink of bankruptcy. Why change this on us mid-stream!? Just my two cents.

Level 2

Strey,

I almost made the same comment about the extra devices cost Dropbox nothing.  Thought about it for a moment and realized, if I was one of these people with a hundred or more connected devices, that would cost them bandwidth to update all the other 99 devices with the update.  Just food for thought.  I'm outraged too.  You can see my comment on the next page.

Highlighted

I just got a email about the new number of devices

Level 6

I only have one computer that can possibly access my dropbox free basic account. The only other other device does not have Dropbox installed on it. So if the free account can have 3 devices and I have never had more than 2 at any one time why am I getting a sales pitch for an upgrade that will never happen. If I replace a device and the original is no longer able to log in to Dropbox does the device that died still count against me? How would I have known about your new rule? If a device dies how would I get it unlinked with my free account?

Level 2

totally agreed. Limiting the linked accounts is really a not wise move. I used to use Evernote, but they started to limit their linked account to 3 and i just stopped using it. My life has not been affected at all. So it is understandable that Dropbox needs to make more profit, but you can't be too greedy. You have not reach a point that you are indispensable. Without Dropbox, the earth will not stop spinning. So make bad moves. Also, I will quit using dropbox if it is more than $20 a year. 

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
236 Replies
332 Likes
Solved! : See solution