Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Level 6

Wowowowow! As a tech/photo teacher, I have recommended DB to HUNDREDS! of people and this is really bad news!!!

I have read a number of replies here and have not seen anybody mention that the challenge of three device limit does not even take into account that you might need authorizing multiple “devices” on one single device.

I just found out about this today as I attempted to send myself via Dropbox and VR7 an audio file on a device that was already authorized for the main DB App. But the VR7 application needed an authorization also. Just looked over the email and finding this to my shock. I have 20 connected devices and approximately 25gb GB of space used in 35gb allowed.  I utilize dropbox extensively every single day. I have no idea what an alternative would be.  

I pay for unlimited storage at Dreamhost for web hosting as well as unlimited photo storage at Smugmug...I just don’t know how to turn that into not needing Dropbox and how convenient it is to install and rock on with instant syncing with tons of files.

Highlighted

Level 2

I just want to add my voice to the chorus.

Like many others, I do need to link more than three devices, but I do not need 1TB of cloud storage, and I definitely don't want to be paying $120 pa for what has been an excellent but free service.

I have used Dropbox almost since it was established, and it's brilliant.  I'll happily pay for continuing excellence, and to say 'thank you' for what I've enjoyed using in the past, but not an outrageous $120 pa.  Reduce it to, say, $15-20pa for unlimited devices with about 100GB of storage (which is fairly similar to Google Drive's fees) and I'd be signing up.

Level 2

Adding my voice to the community.

I have been a loyal user of Dropbox since 2011, and have loved it and recommended it to everyone I know since then. Today after learning about the new policy and reading this thread, I moved all my files to sync.com. This device limit policy seems to specifically target us longtime legacy free tier users. I have never needed more that 2G-5G of space and there is no way I will pay $120 for getting access to my files from more than 3 devices. I would be more than happy to pay $10 for the year for my limited space and bandwidth usage, but Dropbox seems to have gotten the greedy bug...good luck with that.

IfRe: March 2019 device limit policy

Level 2

Is there a way to delete replies? If a moderator sees this, please delete this reply.

"You can’t link any new devices" warning

Level 2

I just recieved an email saying "You can’t link any new devices" and that "You’ve exceeded the linked device limit for your current Dropbox Basic plan", out of the blue.

Does this mean someone logged into my account right before causing the device limit message? Or were these automated emails sent out on 4/12/19?

Re: IfRe: March 2019 device limit policy

You can edit your reply (top right, three dots), perhaps just edit it to say duplicate post. 

Re: "You can’t link any new devices" warning

Level 2

I recevied the same message today 4/13/19

Super User

it just mean that Dropbox sent out emails stating their new policy.

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

I got the same mail from Dropbox just last night and was alarmed by it. After searching here a bit, I found that linked devices are now limited to only three with Basic account. Why Dropbox decided not to warn warn/inform their users beforehand, I have no idea whatsoever! Bad Dropbox, go stand into corner...

I had more than three devices linked before the change, so I'm supposedly able to keep those. If I need reset/reinstall on any of my linked devices, the game is over because the three device limit will stop me. No, I'm not going to make unlink/link rounds, because I need my files to be accessible and synced by all my devices.

I could live with limit of five, but three is too few. Time to start searching better solution than Dropbox.

Level 2
I also got the email on the same day
Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
315 Replies
393 Likes
Solved! : See solution