Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Level 5
Chris_J the issue with this approach is you can't add a new device if you already have more than 3 attached. If I have 5 attached and replace 1 with say a new phone, I have to remove 3 devices before I can add the new phone. We're not grandfathered in with the existing number of devices.
Highlighted

Super User

Hello oldrose

I was merely answering a poster question.  Go find Harryflasters  post and he had a specific question in which I was answering.  I wasn't posting a workaround.

Thanks

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

To Spiegel - One of the rules of business is to find out what people want and offer it to them. If you don't produce offerings that people want at the price point they will pay then you won't be in business for long. Ask anyone in business, don't take my word for it.

So now we are at a point where Dropbox may be commiting commercial suicide and we, the users are letting them know.

They probably get a fair number of paid for referrals from their free user base. Google know this!

Easiest way to move to Google Docs?

Now there is some ridiculous limit to the devices that I can access MY data on?  1TB is your minimum package?  Time to move off of this BS platform to one that is more user friendly. Anyone have any advice on the easiest way to get my stuff out of here and into GDrive?

Re: Question about linking with this new 3 device limit.

Level 2

I'm very concerned about the email I received last night about limiting to 3 devices. I'm a teacher and have integrated dropbox into my classroom since 2011. We are a 1:1 iPad art room sharing all our files through my one dropbox account. I've promoted and referred so many people to dropbox, now I'm going to have to find another platform. I don't have a budget to support $100 a year to share files.

Is there an education discount or plan?

Level 4

I think many (most?)  free users would be willing to pay $10-$15 per year for 5 or more devices with limited storage (15GB?).  This would earn Dropbox an enormous amount of money.

The current policy will undoubtedly make users move to one of the many free alternatives and could be the beginning of the end for Dropbox.

Level 8
the device limit is literally offering an ultimatum of either going pro, paying for space we don't need, or looking elsewhere

I use the free tier as well, but you need to understand that from a business perspective this makes perfect sense. The less freeloaders you have, the better.

Level 8

@Knot-Me  ha scritto:

I would highly recommend that Dropbox add additional price tiers between free and $10/month to remain competitive with other cloud storage services.

This a thousand times! Storage is cheap, we know it, you know it. Even more if you use advanced deduplication techniques on millions of users like you have implemented in Dropbox.

The costly part of a business is customer care because you have to pay employees for that.

Make us pay a reasonable price for a small plan without live customer support. If you can offer 1TB for $10 you might as well offer 100GB for $1 or maybe $1.20. Seriously, the jump from the free tier to the smallest paid tier is absurd.

You also need to consider that not everyone lives in the US. While an american might just buy a "coffee" (dirty water See No Evil ) for $10, in Italy we can buy a monthly mobile subscription with unlimited calls, texts and 50GB of data for that amount.

So you need to put things in perspective and target different markets with appropriately sized offers.

I agree with this accessment.  I simply cannot pay $10 a month as an occasional user.  I pay $2 a month for extra google space as I keep all my email for myself and my husband on gmail for the past zillion years.  I would not have paid more for that.  

I will end up paying nothing to Dropbox rather than the $10. I'll just make do with the free tier whatever it is or go elsewhere unless they drop the price for occasional users like me. 

Level 5

The shoddy manner in which Dropbox has rolled this out without advance warning to it's customers beggars belief. For the price of $10 per month, I can host my own cloud on a raspberry pi and be done with dealing with companies like Dropbox, own my own data and expand it with little marginal cost.  It's appalling that Dropbox did not even do me the courtesy of informing me in advance, building a case for it and giving  cheaper alternatives.  They however did do me the courtesy of sending me a marketing email after the event asking me to upgrade!  There are more sensibly priced products on the market.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
315 Replies
393 Likes
Solved! : See solution