Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Level 6

Let's face it they chose this path to convince people that they no longer value the thousands that helped them to get to where they are today. They like a lot of others today feel, cut off the part that gives you the least profit and hope that you survive. They want people to leave, we served their benefit when they needed us. We got them a user base with little cost to them and now they care less about us. I for one will keep my account as is and put my data on a competitor and leave the original data as a thing I will update periodically just to cost them the cost of syncing. I think there are enough of us mad enough to cause them to rethink that trying to get what they feel are freeloaders to quit as the obviously planned. As soon as I establish where I will move what I care about it is my plan to load up my account with a fresh set of files equal to my limit and rotate them daily at least or multiple times a day costing them a lot more than I have for over 10 years. If enough people do that maybe they will give other options to the masses. I-drive offered a 1TB price for a year for $6.95, Apple offers 50 GB dirt cheap. With today's hard drive prices why not keep a copy of important files on an external hard drive in an off-site location. As much as it hurts to say this the freshman congressperson that spends most days spouting things her alma-mater cringe they gave her a degree in economics "it is all about the Benjamins $$$. 

Level 4

I was very sad to be suddenly locked out, no communication/warning. EVENTUALLY, I found out what my issue was, several iterations of PC / laptops, 95% were machines long ago wiped.

However, I agree on pricing tiers clearly 'home' users are not wanted anymore, only business as others have said. 

Now the Microsoft 365 Home offer is a paid plan (UK £79.99 p.a.) but for this we get;

The latest version of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher (for PC), Access (for PC) this is for PCs/Macs, tablets, and phones, including Windows, iOS, and Android.

Best of all this is for 6 users each allowed Skype and 1Tb of OneDrive storage EACH.

I accept that Dropbox is faster as cloud storage but 1TB is £79 p.a. so would cost £474 p.a. for 6 people just for storage alone, this I cannot ignore.

anonymous
Not applicable

i have the same problem

Level 6

I researched a whole load of other options and ended up with the free and unlimited devices option of Sync. For my very basic needs it does exactly the same as DB but I now have an extra 1Gb (6Gb up from 5Gb - not that I need as much as 5Gb!) plus end to end encryption. I wasn't aware that DB could access my data until this policy change issue came up. I've seen a few posts to say they will leave data on DB just to leave a synching overhead for them but maybe better not to leave your data with them? Also, as mentioned by others, the major startup overhead (high CPU) I used get on my PC has now disappeared with the DB service disabled. That used to annoy me but has now gone even though I now have the Sync service running

Level 5

I caught the info about Sync.com from another poster.  I "was" going to just keep things with DB and see what happened or until I found something different.  I checked out Sync.com and it looked like it had potential.  But then I watched the YouTube video from Dottotech [external link removed in accordance with Forum Guidelines] and wow that was an eye opener.  I agree with you rl11, I'm not sure I want to leave my data with DB any longer.  And after logging into and setting up a Sync account.... the functionality is on par with Dropbox.   Honestly, this may have all turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Anyone else interested in switching to Sync?  Here's my referral link (yes shamless), it'll get you started at 6GB out the door.  And follow their getting started stuff and you'll end up with 7GB.  <link removed in accordance with Forum Guidelines>

Level 5

ok, doesn't like links.  Use this <code removed in accordance to Forum Guidlines> in the Sync rewards details and you'll ge the extra 1GB.

Level 5

ahh... there we go.  Did the last one to prove DB is reading and watching this thread.  but they don't care.   ;o)

Highlighted

Super User

as with most users here, there's a lot of assumption.  You assumed that Dropbox is reading this.  They may be and I hope so but FYI, SuperUsers are like Moderators of the forum and FYI, I don't work for Dropbox, I don't get compensation from Dropbox, in fact, I am a paying customer.  We as SuperUsers volunteer their time for the community.  We though agree to uphold forum guidelines.  So because of what I agree to do, would have to edit some replies

Thank you

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

I have removed almost all my files. I’m keeping some but they’re all duplicated elsewhere. I’m waiting to see if there will be a change of heart and an offer of a reasonable price level for small users is made.

Re: Device limit question

Level 2

Same, here. After using DropBox for years and recommending it to a ton of people. I am now limited to 3 devices. Can't do that.

I have a Windows Desktop PC, Windows Laptop, MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, Android Phone and an iPhone....Guess I need 6 devices.

So which is better? -- Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive?

I need sync'ing and 6 devices.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
315 Replies
393 Likes
Solved! : See solution