cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Authenticator not working

Mobile Authenticator not working

Daniel J.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Using 2-step verification, I've recently tried switching from receiving texts to using the mobile authenticator. However, the latter is not working.
I'm getting 'invalid' code when i try to input the code generated. How is this possible?
Is there no other way to use 2-step authenticator without having to resort to texts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Laureline
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi Brooke and Kelly!

Unfortunately, due to our security policies, if you don't remember your password and no longer have access to the email address registered to your Dropbox account, we have no way to help you regain access to that account.

If it's possible, we recommend that you contact your email service provider to regain access to your email account, and then request a new password.

However, you may be able to transfer the files in this account to another account in one of two ways:

Method A

If you still have access to a computer with your Dropbox files on it, you can transfer the files to another Dropbox account you've created by unlinking and relinking the Dropbox desktop application to the new account.

To do so, please follow the instructions here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/25

Method B

If you still have access to a smartphone with the Dropbox app on it and access to a computer, you can transfer the files to another Dropbox account by using the remote installation process.

To do this, please go to the mobile app and do the following:

1) Tap on the “Settings” tab.
2) Tap on “Link a Computer”.
3) Follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
4) Once you've scanned the QR code, you'll be automatically logged in to your Dropbox account. The desktop application will start to download to your computer and sync all files on your Dropbox to that computer.

From here you can follow the instructions outlined above in Method A to merge your files with your new account.

Please make sure that you're not using a public computer to carry out this process, as doing so will download your files to the computer.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

78 Replies 78

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Is the timezone on your account and phone correct?

And no, its texts or mobile authenticator I'm afraid

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Daniel J.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

how to i set a timezone on my account? The authenticator is working fine for Google, Microsoft accounts. Only dropbox gives me 'invalid code'

Vedran L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am having the same issue and it drives me nuts.

I have multiple times deleted the authenticator app and installed it and scanned the barcode and it still fails when asked to enter the number shown.

Login failed: Invalid security code

It works on every other account, except Dropbox. It used to work on my first phone, but I never got it to work when I switched to iphone 6.

Please help!

Vedran L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

... and just to add I use the authenticator on the iPhone 6 and from there I copy the code and enter it in the DropBox app on the same phone.
So no TimeZone difference there as suggested earlier.

Daniel J.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Vedran, i took this problem directly with Dropbox support and what worked for me was simply removing and re-adding the dropbox service to the authenticator. Then i was actually able to use the code.

Vedran L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks. It worked!

Ow S.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

hello

Yvonne R.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

How do I update my email address?